No to PIPA and SOPA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by wontonflip, Jan 18, 2012.

1. wontonflip

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

I'm normally not one to take up causes, but I think this warrants attention. You'll notice today that sites like wikipedia and craigslist are taking today to black out the sites to raise awareness of what is being pushed to our congress.

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/sopa-pipa/

Where Do You Stand on SOPA, PIPA? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Stop Online Piracy Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, piracy sucks, and needs to be controlled. But not at the cost of losing internet freedom. Do you think it will put a stop to those who use the internet to push their illegal businesses? They are resourceful, and would find another way to keep their business up while the legitimate sites suffer.

Read the actual proposed bill, and you decide where you stand:

Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

wontonflip, Jan 18, 2012
    1. Advertising

2. wontonflip

bjohanson1234 .........

Showcase Tank(s):
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-TV4jaCMk]The Day The LOLcats Died - YouTube[/ame]

bjohanson1234, Jan 18, 2012
    italipinos8 likes this.
    1. Advertising

3. wontonflip

bjohanson1234 .........

Showcase Tank(s):
  4. wontonflip

ErinCahir Sausage Wrangler

BAH!! I was just coming here to post that same link!! Damn you, BJ!!

ErinCahir, Jan 18, 2012
  5. wontonflip

jcegt87 Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!

Showcase Tank(s):
    glad someone else posted about this, cause apparently when i post about them , people dont care , wel guess thats what happenes when not part of the inner circle, eighter way thanks for posting was wondering if anyone else cared about the matter

jcegt87, Jan 18, 2012
  6. wontonflip

bjohanson1234 .........

Showcase Tank(s):
    I remember your post. I believe that I actually tried getting some sort of conversation going about it. After research and reading, I have decided that they are bad. And like many bills, they have benign sounding names. Like stop online piracy. who doesn't want that? But in order to do it you don't need to kill the internet.

7. wontonflip

You had a thread already? I didn't see it :(

But in any case, I do have a strong opposition to this because my livelihood IS the internet. Pretty much anyone whose even used the internet to get information will be affected by this. In all honesty, I would never think something this extreme would pass. But why risk relying solely on the extremity of the bill.

wontonflip, Jan 18, 2012
  8. wontonflip

Showcase Tank(s):
    Yep they are bad , and this won't stop piracing anyway, glad we got an official thread going, woot woot

jcegt87, Jan 18, 2012
  9. wontonflip

Exactly....I don't own a gun, nor have I ever shot one, but banning guns won't stop drug dealers from carrying a gun. Criminals are criminals for a reason. There are no laws that will rule over them.

The bill's language is just overly generalized.

wontonflip, Jan 18, 2012
  10. wontonflip

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

They need to be stopped.

motorcyclereefer, Jan 18, 2012
  11. wontonflip

Haha....google's logo today:

[​IMG]

wontonflip, Jan 18, 2012
  12. wontonflip

Showcase Tank(s):
    wikipedia, has it best today, ultimate censorship

jcegt87, Jan 18, 2012
  13. wontonflip

Bifferwine I am a girl Moderator

It would basically shut down any site that relies on users to submit content -- Ebay, YouTube, Craig's List, Wikipedia, Photobucket, etc. Even sites that allow comments or reviews -- Target's website for example, where you can review products, or Amazon, where you can post a review of a book or album. It would require all of those websites to police every single comment or submittal posted to ensure that they didn't contain any copyrighted material (or links to other sites that contain copyrighted material), because the site would be held responsible for what people post on it. Who is going to pay for that?!?! Also, the websites accused of hosting pirated material would have to be shut down right away, and it would be up to the host to prove their "innocence" and get the site turned back on again. The entire Facebook site could be shut down because one person posts a copyrighted picture, video or song to their page.

As others have said, it sounds good in theory to "Stop Online Piracy" but the way these bills are going about it could potentially shut down every site on the internet.

Even Living Reefs. When I post pictures that reference a fish or coral, I usually just pull them from google. Some of those pictures may very well be copyrighted, but I don't necessary check every single one to make sure they are not. If someone asked, "What is your favorite type of wrasse?" and I posted a picture of a leopard wrasse that I pulled off of google, Living Reefs could be shut down for that. How many of you are 100% certain that the photo you are using for your avatar isn't copyrighted? Or the song lyrics in your signature? All of that stuff would warrant a website being shut down.

Punish the individual piraters. When someone is out robbing banks, you don't shut down the apartment complex they live in. You arrest the bank robber.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Bifferwine, Jan 19, 2012
  14. wontonflip

chuck78 The Reefanatic

They're going overboard using the entertainment industry to justify robbing us of more liberties. The government could give two shits about plight of entertainment. The Endgame is "CONTROL"!!!!

chuck78, Jan 19, 2012
  15. wontonflip

phuture1

+1. couldn't agree with you more, chuck.

phuture1, Jan 19, 2012
  16. wontonflip

I can always count on Biffers to really break it down thoroughly in few words :D :clap:

On the radio today, they were interviewing some college students and one of them said something along the lines of "Well, I don't care because it doesn't affect me now, so life will go on"...how much do you want to bet that the second she can't access google or wiki on her cellphone she'll care.

wontonflip, Jan 19, 2012
  17. wontonflip

cthegame

I agree with this statement 100%. There is no way to truly prevent piracy nor do the they have the resources to sue or jail everyone who illegally downloads or posts something, this is just about power. Where the hell is the group Anonymous? they should be all over this

cthegame, Jan 19, 2012
  18. wontonflip

bjohanson1234 .........

Showcase Tank(s):
    Agree with everything but the last word. MONEY it should be. The politicians that are for it all have received the most money from the entertainment industry.

bjohanson1234, Jan 19, 2012
  19. wontonflip

little_fish Moderator

+1 bj

little_fish, Jan 19, 2012
  20. wontonflip

Sir Alex Dragon the eel (below)

I do believe that's copyrighted...

Sir Alex, Jan 19, 2012
    1. Advertising