Octopus in Database

mcmusashi5

Octopus Wizard
I just noticed the description now for some reason. I'm guessing it's the site owner who wrote the description(so I really hope I'm not stepping on any toes). But the description really makes it sound impossible. I'm part of a whole forum who can vouch, it's really not that hard... With a good amount of patience, research, and good question asking, a lot of reefers can do. It really is a bothersome misconception. I'm just wondering why it is written like that. Again, no offense to anyone at all. Just simply curiosity.

Its to discourage new reefers who have no idea what they are doing from buying an octopus.

Those guys are for experts only, and this forum by and large caters to new reefers.

LF I understand that you want to discourage new reefers from getting something that is difficult but would it not be more beneficial to teach why its difficult instead of just using fear to shun people away from it?

People buy things all the time with no idea how to care for it. Dont get me wrong its not a good practice to buy anything without researching but it does happen and I think this site would be more helpful if there was the information available on the care of it regardless of whether or not you think its a good idea to buy it.

When I came on this site all I saw (and still see) is DONT GET AN ANEMONE for at least a year but lots of people have them successfully within a few months including myself, I have 2 in my tank for several months now and my tank is only 7 months old. They are fat and happy creatures.

I have yet to see any real person come on here and say theirs nuked their tank and killed everything the way it is said to do. I am not saying that it is not POSSIBLE but the likelihood is not that high since most people can tell when their nem is on the outs and they remove it before it becomes a problem.

I am not trying to argue or make anyone angry by any means but I do find the creation of fear of the few creatures that might possibly cause issues a bit overblown most of the time.

Just my opinion :)

I fully agree with AmberSunrise. No one could have said it better. More beneficial to teach why it's difficult intead of just using fear to shun people away from it.

That's an interesting read. They sound way too hard for me to keep especially since you'd need a species specific tank. That sucks that after their eggs hatch they die.

When I came on this site all I saw (and still see) is DONT GET AN ANEMONE for at least a year but lots of people have them successfully within a few months including myself, I have 2 in my tank for several months now and my tank is only 7 months old. They are fat and happy creatures.

BUT on the other hand, it's best to get the attention of people who choose to put an anemone in a brand-spanking-new-barely-just-cycled tank. It's awesome that people were able to keep them successfully in less-than-a-year-old-tank! But again, it's best to err on the side of caution. You were one of the consciencious ones who took the time to make sure you made your tank as habitable as possible for the nems. But you have to admit that there are the careless ones who will do as they please without taking the time to research.

Back