Peppermint Shrimp

cgoodman381

can i put whtever i want?
Iv read many different things about these guys.

Some say that are completely reef safe, others say they will munch on softies. What are your experiances with them? Have they left your softies alone? Do you think its better to add them to a system with softies already in there or add the shrimp then the softies?

And I would be buying peppermints, not camel shrimp. At least I hope so. :p They would be from reeftopia.

Last edited:
They are completely reef safe, they will eat your apastia

Yes mine left my softies alone.

What you are reading is people mixing them up with Camel shrimp, I have heard that many stores confuse them and sell them as Peppermint shrimp. They are not reef safe. Frankly I don't know how they can't tell the two apart.

I caught one chewing straight through a feather duster in my nano tank. Didn't bother any other creatures though(except aptasia). Did piss me off though $4 shrimp eating a $12 duster :grumble:

They are completely reef safe, they will eat your apastia

Yes mine left my softies alone.

What you are reading is people mixing them up with Camel shrimp, I have heard that many stores confuse them and sell them as Peppermint shrimp. They are not reef safe. Frankly I don't know how they can't tell the two apart.

I wouldn't say they are COMPLETLEY reef safe:grumble:

I think its a hit or miss kind of thing. Like 50/50 chance that one will cause problems and anther will be perfectly reef safe.

From personal experience, i have not had any issues with my peppermint.

i think it's a bit of a hit or miss. if they've got plenty to eat they'll probably leave your corals alone and if there starving they may munch on some.

I've never had any problems with them. I had 2 in my old 55 and currently have 4 in my 240. I've never had aiptasia either, but they've still never eaten any of my corals (that I've seen). I have heard stories (on rare occasions) of them eating polyps or other things, and people assume that they've run out of food and are desperate or are confusing coral polyps for aiptasia. I'd say they are 99% reef safe though, the stories of them eating corals are few and far between. Like others have pointed out, it's more common that someone is "accidentally" sold camel shrimp instead, and can't tell the difference between the two, then gives the peppermint a bad rep.

like biff I have peps I'm all of my systems. they are amazing for aptasia control and they are just plain fun to watch (if they are out and about) as far as eating soft corals, the only time this would happen as far as I could think would be an opportunistic situation. if they run out of food and you are not feeding them they will do either what they can to survive or die.

I am a total peppermint advocate aptasia or not.

I wouldn't consider them 100% reef safe either.I have over a dozen of them and I just don't understand why they haven't touch an aiptasia.In the past,I've had peppermints eat yellow polyps.Make sense,yellow polyps resemble aiptasias,some refer yellow polyps as a colonial anemone.

Even though I've never had any problems with my pepperments,I still dont consider them 100% reef safe.50/50.

Back