Plate Coral

this M. Capricornus was a 2" x 2" frag 1.5 years ago ...

MCapricornusorange.jpg

i JUST started feeding my tank more, but this was grown out with VERY little feeding. mostly just photosynthesis for the corals.

I have about 4 different montiporas in my tank. All of them are frags that are less than 1" x 1". And I've had all of the frags for about a month. I've seen noticeable growth in one of them, but the rest don't appear to have grown. But that's not surprising for only having had them for less than a month. Except for one that I bought from the LFS, which is around 6" x 6" now, and this has been growing VERY fast. It's probably doubled in size since I bought it 2 months ago.

I have 4 x 250 watts MH and another 200 watts of actinic T5s. I blast all my corals with a mix of cyclopeeze, marine snow, and phytoplankton once a week.

I have had a Blastomussa wellsi for about 6 months now. It didn't grow at all. But they are VERY slow growers. Then, when my tank fried, it all died, and only the skeletons were left. Now, the skeletons have resprouted about 4 or 5 new babies, about the size of lentils. I'm very excited.

I also have a frag of 3 heads of Blastomussa merletti. But I've only had it for a week or two. These are also notoriously slow growers.

That's why blastos are so expensive.

my lfs has some nice looking ones, and he told me if you feed them they'll grow well

he target feeds his

he told me i could use Rod's food

I'll do that and get back to you on the growth

Last edited:
maybe i got the name wrong

what other corals could i be thinking of that look like that

here is a really bad picture of it

DSCN0527.JPG

Last edited:
I think I got a plate coral as a hitchiker on my LR, it looks almost exactly like the pictures but just a heck of a lot smaller. It has doubled in size from when I first noticed it. It is now about a half inch in diameter with two plates folding over themselves a little. I will try to get a good pic

Brian

Back