Poop!

Tristan

Detritus
There's is a lot of hermit and snail poop on the sandbed, seems like nothing's eating it though. since hermits eat detritus, will they eventually eat their own poop?( no disrespect to dcan and his crabloving ways lol) if not, do i just syphon it out or does it serve an important purpose?

Siphon it out and put it in your potted house plants. Makes a great fertilizer. We must learn to re-cycle everything if we are going to make it in this world. :mrgreen:

Dcan: LMAO

Biff: i have a baby serpent that i havent seen since i put him in, and my brittle is super shy and at night he does nothing more than stick a few tentacles out of his hole. any tips on getting him to come out?

Strong flow will keep most detritus from settling in the sand bed. You want detritus in the water column so it will go into a piece of floss or into a carbon filter. If too much settles into the sand bed it could turn your sand toxic with pockets of hydrogen sulfide. One guy drained his tank and when he put the water back in, it stirred up the sand, released old detritus and caused an ammonia spike that killed his tank.

Back