Powder blue tang ??

Lesely

Reefing newb
Hi. Most of the regulars know my tank. I am after honest opinions on weather I should try and add a powder blue into my tank ?? I know they can be aggressive so he will be the last fish added. What's your thoughts please ?
current tangs
yellow tang x 2
Blue Tang x 2
Lipstick tang.

Last edited:
You have to remember that powder blue tangs are prone to diseases like white spot. However, as you appear to be doing well with the other tangs, I see no reason why not. So go ahead ;)

We have been down the white spot route before with blue tangs. All survived and tank has been ich free for 12 months now. I am more worried about the aggressive nature of the PB. ? Anyone with one I would love to know if they really are bad !

I have had several PB tangs. All were fine in my tank. My Yellows have always been more aggressive with new fish. As the last one in, he will be fine as far as temperament goes, but watch both your yellow and hippo tangs as they tend to be much more aggressive with new tangs in my experience.

Powder Blues are touchy, they are notorious for arriving with ich, they WILL get it, no ifs, ands or buts about, it's going to happen. Being closer to their home grounds you should get a less stressed specimen, but mark my words ich is a given with PB tangs.

So even if we QT it when he gets in display and meets his new buddies. ( won't be happy I am sure) he will get ich !

So even if we QT it when he gets in display and meets his new buddies. ( won't be happy I am sure) he will get ich !
There is a 99.99% probability it'll get a few spots. I have NEVER had one that didn't break with it and I've had hundreds of them. They shrug it off quickly, but they all get a few spots. I love them and I don't worry about it. PB's are my favorite, followed closely by Purple tangs and mimic tangs. Not trying to scare you, but I want you to be aware of it.

Are th
There is a 99.99% probability it'll get a few spots. I have NEVER had one that didn't break with it and I've had hundreds of them. They shrug it off quickly, but they all get a few spots. I love them and I don't worry about it. PB's are my favorite, followed closely by Purple tangs and mimic tangs. Not trying to scare you, but I want you to be aware of it.
ate they very aggressive fish ? I have heard they are very nasty. Is this true or hype ?

If they have enough room ,they're OK. If you cram them into a small tank, look the hell out because all hell's gonna break loose. Ask me how I know, lol.

When we had our shop we had them in 80l tanks and if there was a similarly sized fish in the tank, shit got real fast, lol. That was the first time I ever got sliced by a tang trying to get one out because there was an angel in the tank and he didn't like it. The smallest tank I'd recommend for a PB is a 200-250 litre 4ft tank.

We have been down the white spot route before with blue tangs. All survived and tank has been ich free for 12 months now.
just wanted to be sure anyone reading this understood that you obviously still have marine ich in the tank if you never did anything about it. simply because all your fish are asymptomatic does not mean it is not present. a stressful incident or fluctuating parameters or missed meal could catalyze sufficient stress to allow the parasite to show itself. one must go fallow for 12 weeks and treat all livestock appropriately; cholorquine phosphate and cupramine (copper) being the most popular choices.

Powder Blues are touchy, they are notorious for arriving with ich, they WILL get it, no ifs, ands or buts about, it's going to happen. Being closer to their home grounds you should get a less stressed specimen, but mark my words ich is a given with PB tangs.
while notorious for ich, as is most of the genus, it is not a mandatory sentence. if prophylactically treated appropriately, then the fish will be ich-free and never show symptoms unless entered into a system where you have not quarantined and the parasite has been allowed to enter. there's no reason to take the risk not and quarantine allows you the opportunity to only allow the healthiest specimens into your system for long-term success.

while notorious for ich, as is most of the genus, it is not a mandatory sentence. if prophylactically treated appropriately, then the fish will be ich-free and never show symptoms unless entered into a system where you have not quarantined and the parasite has been allowed to enter. there's no reason to take the risk not and quarantine allows you the opportunity to only allow the healthiest specimens into your system for long-term success.
totally understand the life cycle of ICH and that yes it is in the tank now and will be unless left fallow. We purchased this tank second hand and the previous owner of this tank had ICH and the fish we inherited from him when set up at our place got ICH. We understand that stress and fluctuating parameters can make it re-appear.
We have had the tank 14 months now and we have not had it re-appear. we keep the water in pristine condition with very stable parameters and also keep a very stress free stock in the tank. We have a lot of belief in our system overall and are fastidious with our maintenance.
I also believe what the old fellow reefer (30 yrs or so exp) told us that if fish have had it once they are very unlikely to get it again, after introducing this sick powder blue, not one of our fish actually showed any signs of stress or ICH. It was a chance we were prepared to take. I think that many people over react to ICH in the first place. And its a choice we made.
Thank you for your advice, and maybe we were just lucky this time.

With Powder blue tangs, it is. I have been in this game a long time and have never seen a Powder Blue fresh off the plane without ich. I tried all of the treatments and letting it run its short course in QT is best in my opinion. You might think you don't have ich after a prophylactic treatment, but I assure you it's there. I'd never throw a tang into a display without a period of quarantine.

Back