Powerhead and controller for 90 gal

Reefster

Reefing newb
I have a 90 gal mixed reef and both koralia 1500's need replacing. I got decent flow from them, but always thought the tank could use more. For viewing purposes I have one on the left side, but the other is on the back right side of tank. I would like to keep it that way, but understand that I may need to move it to the side.

So, my question is what kind of power heads should I get for a low profile appearance as well as what kind if controller to help create a wave or tide effect. Kinds bummed with the difficulty I had with the Hydor running backward and having to get a new cover to fix it.

+1
Ecotech is the only way to go for low profile appearance, no motor or cords inside the tank, wide flow, and complete control out of the box.
They will also be offering further control of their Vortechs via EcoSmart Live (www.ecosmartlive.com) early this year.
You will be able to run multiple programs throughout the day.
This can also be done currently if you have an Apex or Profilux aquarium controller.

If you wanna spend $500 on powerheads, that is...

If I could afford Vortechs, I would, but I like my Koralias for the much more modest prices.

I have a 90 gal mixed reef and both koralia 1500's need replacing. I got decent flow from them, but always thought the tank could use more. For viewing purposes I have one on the left side, but the other is on the back right side of tank. I would like to keep it that way, but understand that I may need to move it to the side.

So, my question is what kind of power heads should I get for a low profile appearance as well as what kind if controller to help create a wave or tide effect. Kinds bummed with the difficulty I had with the Hydor running backward and having to get a new cover to fix it.
I also have a 90 Gal reef and have gone to 2 - Jebao wp25 wave makers, there a Dc fully controllable as to wave modes and speed with a feed mode as well. check out this link.

WP 25's are under $100 each c/w controller and do 1500 gph, I would say that's pretty good bang for your buck as well. :thumbsup:

WP 25's are under $100 each c/w controller and do 1500 gph, I would say that's pretty good bang for your buck as well. :thumbsup:

To each there own.When choosing between the Jabao and Vortex the sleeker design,no motor inside the tank and it's more controllable(200-1575gph vs.800-2000gph).Do these pumps have a US distributor that gives out a warranty?As far as I know there isn't any warranty.There have been some well documented problems like faulty cords and night sensors with these pumps.All that was worth going with the Ecotech over the Jabao for me.

If you wanna spend $500 on powerheads, that is...

If I could afford Vortechs, I would, but I like my Koralias for the much more modest prices.

I understand. But the koralias give you none of the attributes i mentioned in my first sentence.
The OP asked for controllability and low profile design, in which case I would still recommend Vortechs.
If available funds won't allow it, then you'll have to decide which features aren't as important to you.

There's new controllable koralias. Idk prices or details. There's a few here who have had luck withthe Jebao pumps and tunze makes some nice stuff.

Right, and they are all freakin huge eyesores in the tank, power wires and all. ;)
But if you want sleek low profile AND full control out of the box, Vortech is the way to go.
They can also be controlled even more by hooking them up to an Apex or GHL controller, both of which have Vortech modules you can add on.
The Vortechs will also be able to be controlled via EcoSmart Live very soon, a good option if you have or eventually will have a Radion LED light.
Yeah, it costs a lot more. You also tend to get what you pay for.

Unless something changed over the past 6 months, i wouldn't run Koralias with the controller… to many problems and noise.

Back