Question

Mtrueblood

Reefing newb
I just started a New 75 gallon tank in Feb and all my tests are coming back good. I have done them and I have taken water samples to my local pet store that I have been going to for a while. I put 3 Damsels in the tank to get things moving and to see how they would do just in case the cycling wasnt complete. My question is how long should I wait until I can put some of my fish from my 30 to my 75. I have a Blue Hippo Tang that I would like to put in there but I am affraid that it might be to soon. I would like to see what others think.

Wait until all parameters have been stable for a week or two. Then add a fish every three weeks or so to let your bacteria catch up with your bioload. Id lose the damsels personnally they are killers and very aggressive.

That sounds good. I will let the tank sit for anouther week or two just to be safe. I put the damsels in because that is what I was told to do when I started my 30 gallon. I was told that they will tell you if your tank has the right balance or not. Is that true? I will definatly take them out of the tank before I put the Blue Hippo Tang in or any other type of fish because I know they are very agressive.

You don't need to cycle using damsels. They will either A) die from the cycle, then you've wasted their lives and your money, or B) survive the cycle and beat up and kill every fish you try to add after that. They are one of the most aggressive types of fish you can have in your tank and are mean.

The hippo tang is a really delicate fish and gets ich easily. I'd wait until your parameters have been stable (ammonia and nitrites at 0) for a couple weeks before moving him over, as he might stress and get sick.

You say just kidding but no joke I have been told that people would take them and do that with them. I guess that they would be used a lot in a smaller tank. Everyone that has a bigger tank always tell me to chuck them.

Back