Red Coris vs Sunset Wrasse

foxymoxy

Reefing newb
I would like to get either a Red Coris or Sunset Wrasse for my tank. I am wondering if anyone owned either of these fish and if they rumor is true that they eat bristleworms. Also, how large do they get...i been getting mixed data online...thx

That sucks that they are not reef safe ; ;

I am trying to find a wrasee that won't be eaten by my lionfish...my first choice was six-liner but they only grow a few inches ; ;

I've owned a Red Coris. He was about 4.5 inches when I bought him. At 1st he was a cool customer, only picking at the rocks. When he became 6 inches thats when the problems began. He started to harass both my chromis & purple firefish. Occasionally he would fling small rocks about the tank (in search of pods I guess). Strange thing is that he did'nt bother my cb shrimps or br shimp. He had to go cuz he would'nt leave my smaller fish alone. Oh, & I'll never own a blue throat trigger again. I placed a 6 inch male in the tank & after only 20 seconds, he swam over to my 4 inch crocea clam & took the biggest bite his little ass could take.....RIP to my crocea clam.

It will be impossible for the fish to toss around rocks. Since, all of my rocks have a rod going through them plus twist tied to all the piping.

All together by the end of this weekend I will have a 12 inch Lionfish, 6 inch magnificent fox face and 4 foot zebra eel. Following week I am going to put in a couple of corals. All of my corals are pagged into place so they will be moveable.

The Red Coris is a great fish if you prep your tank correctly. They are reef safe as they do not eat corals, but will eat shrimp, clams and crabs. But can damage corals by flipping the rock they are on as they search for food. And yes they are excellent at keeping bristleworms under control.

The solution to keep corals and a red coris happy in the same tank, is to properly attach them to large live rock too large to move. Rocks larger than a big coffee mug or heavier than 5 pounds are usually good, lighter ones are safe too if they are wedged tightly to a larger rock. I use epoxy putty and a Dremmel tool to attach coral frags.

A tool every reefer should have is also a dremmel drill tool usualy about 40-60 bucks. Make sure you use a carbide drill bit, and you can drill holes into your live rock easily that fit the shape of your frags. Then apply some epoxy putty around the frag and hole, it will dry and keep your corals extremely secure from being flipped.

For corals like frogspawn or torch corals, using black plastic click ties, loop around them and into a drilled hole to tighten securely.

Over time your corals will grow and fuse onto the rocks as well. If you have large areas of sand, you can also toss dead clam or snail shells and hide mysis or krill, like a wrasse toy treat.

Last edited:
Here's a thread about wrasses that might help you out. Calling All Wrasse Fans! This was my quest to find a wrasse that would stand up to my lions but fit in my tank (much smaller than yours). There are a few out there...

Back