Red Slime, I'm going Crazy

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
So I got red slime algae again for the 3rd time about in 18 months, in all the times I have used red slime remover with no ill effects at all to corals or fish, the red slime went away but it comes back in a few months, I have a 75G tank with 9 fish medium and small, my corals are Zoa, Mushrooms, Polyps, Kenya Tree, big Sun Coral, some Xenias over all softies, and 6 RBTA small and medium in size that keep splitting on me, (that’s another problem) but over all I have to say that my coals are all flourishing, I have a big MegaFlow#4 sump with rubble rock and DSB refugim with macro algae, my skimmer is the Eshopps PSH100H, I run carbon & GFO and bio pellets, I don’t have hair algae problems at all.
I feed my fish only frozen food, I feed them everything. I would consider my tank to be well feed.
So why is the red slime coming back, I don’t want to keep using it even that their where no ill affect, I want to take care of the cause of the problem, I’m starting to think that my skimmer is just under rated for my tanks need. (Not that I have the $$ for a new bigger one)
What do you think?

i use that red sea no3:p04-x phospate reducer and i find that it doubles the crap coming out of my skimmer. i had an on-off cyno problem too. started using the red sea n0p0 and it cleared up. took a couple or 3 wks though. also i moved my powerheads around to get more flow and i cut back on my food.

I have a marineland 5500 for my pump, in one section of my sump I have a hydor 850 just to mix things up, and in the refugim section I have a nano hydor, and for my main and a MP-10, and I’m looking into getting a used MP-40 soon

Pictures of it would be helpful, most of the time red slime is in low flow areas. It may be that you have some "dead" areas because of the aqua scape.

Ok......
From the op opinion I couldn't agree more.
I have ran my eshoops skimmer (hob) and thought it was great. Completely wrong. The throat is to narrow for bubbles to form and the actual suspension of waste. It pulled 1/10 of a month what my Diablo skimmer does in a week.
If money is an issue, I would increase cuc and run wet skimmate.
On my personal preference, I would pull the gfo. Feed the fish, pull gfo, pull all phosphate removers.
Open rock work, anti sync your pumps and you'll be good to go.
This is a permanent fix, not a temporary.
May I ask your lighting and cycle time?

So I got red slime algae again for the 3rd time about in 18 months, in all the times I have used red slime remover with no ill effects at all to corals or fish, the red slime went away but it comes back in a few months, I have a 75G tank with 9 fish medium and small, my corals are Zoa, Mushrooms, Polyps, Kenya Tree, big Sun Coral, some Xenias over all softies, and 6 RBTA small and medium in size that keep splitting on me, (that’s another problem) but over all I have to say that my coals are all flourishing, I have a big MegaFlow#4 sump with rubble rock and DSB refugim with macro algae, my skimmer is the Eshopps PSH100H, I run carbon & GFO and bio pellets, I don’t have hair algae problems at all.
I feed my fish only frozen food, I feed them everything. I would consider my tank to be well feed.
So why is the red slime coming back, I don’t want to keep using it even that their where no ill affect, I want to take care of the cause of the problem, I’m starting to think that my skimmer is just under rated for my tanks need. (Not that I have the $$ for a new bigger one)
What do you think?
I would try red slime it works for me.
20140507_122413.jpg

What do you think?

Grow algae. I have no protein skimmer was using an up flow algae filter which after about a month with good red shift lighting I could over feed with almost no affect only down night time pH would shift more than a good protein skimmer.so the trick there is have two algae filters on two different over lapping light cycles. Cheaper than most other things made mine out paint tray.lol.

Back