reef tank without sump possible?

iornhide01

Reefing newb
Would it just be a bad idea to try and do a coral tank with a few fish with hang on filters or canister filters and a hang on protein skimmer or can it be done if so any pointers say 55 gallon tank

it can be done, don't use HOB filters or canisters

get a protein skimmer, reactor and ATO...that will get you started

A resctor is something you put carbon and gfo into...its used to clear the water, pull out any chemicals and lower phosphates

An ato is a auto top off...this puts fresh water back in a tank when evaporation occurs

Decent light fixture and a rodi unit to purify the water

The lights are key, rodi is a must to some people but there are tanks who run tap water...just make sure you test your tap water for copper, nitrates and ammonia first

I would use 2 750 gph powerheads at each end. Eshoops hang on back protein skimmer is what I use on my system and works great. Lighting all depends on your coral choice. With a simple system I would stay away from acro (a type of sps) if you give use some more of your selection in mind we can further help. There are so many different corals that require different flow/lighting/filtration and so on.

Yep, I would do a couple 750's and a decent light fixture. I don't run a sump or protein skimmer due to space issues and I think my tank is doing really well. The biggest issue is stability and if you can keep your parameters stable then you should be set as long as you have good lighting and flow.

i dont have a sump on mine and i run a 265 gal reef. i have an aquamedic 2500 hang on skimmer, an aquaclear 110 filter with charcoal, phosguard and a sponge to clean water, heaters and 4 sicce stream pump #7[2500 gal] for circulation. lights are 5 teszla leds. i also have a hang on refugium. my tank is doing great. corals are growing and fish are all fat. i have a mixed asortment of soft and hard corals. i dont have room to put a sump under my tank and it sits in my living room so it not going beside. i also have a ro unit and make my own water so yes you can have a real nice tank without having a sump

Back