ReefKeeper with AI Sols?

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
Hey guys,

So my wife and I are setting up a 90gal tank and we want to do a reef tank. Well the lights that came with it were about 80w of old T12 so we are replacing them. We have decided to go with the Aqua Illuminations Sol LED units. My big question is, the controller from AI look really nice at $80 but for about $40 more (and I'm guessing around another $40 after that for the extra module) we can get a ReefKeeper lite. Has anybody tried using both of these systems together? The AI website says they should work and the light module for the RK specifically is made to work with these fixtures. I am just wondering how much functionality iI am going to get out of that controller vs the AI one. Does anybody have this setup? Also, do anybody have the ReefKeeper? It looks like a great product especially if you can just buy the cheapest one and then add modules as needed. Thanks for the input!

The newly wed,
Mr. and Mrs. Casey Levinger

I have the AI Sol's over my 180, and while I have not used the reef keeper personally, there really isn't any functionalty that you would be losing out on using the Reefkeeper over the standard controller for the AI's. The Reefkeeper will also probably make it easier to change the settings. There have been occasions where my controller takes one press of the button for two, so options in the menu are skipped. This has been annoying when trying to dial in the intensity on the different channels on my timer.

The only thing I can think of that you could possibly miss out on is the Thunderstorm mode, which doesn't serve any real purpose other than spooking your fish

Thanks NorthStar24. Yea I am a little bummed about loosing the thunderstorm mode but the RK has a thunderstorm mode of its own so I am guessing it can do that (along with create big waves with its built in wave-maker to add even more effect) so it may actually be better! Thanks for the advice!

Back