Removing camel shrimp

Kazarko

Reefing newb
I'm not very good with traps and such, what are your recommendations for removing camel shrimp? I might accidentally have introduced a pair when I added some peppermints to my tank. They definitely look like camel shrimp and I think they ate all my peppermint shrimp =/

I did not have this problem before when I had an aggressive fish only tank. My grouper would solve the problem. But now that I've gone reef I've got these annoying pests in my rock work and I wish I had some better ideas.

Put a piece of food in a bottle and lean it up against a rock. They will go in the bottle to get the food out, but then they cant get up the smooth side to get out.

he's in between the rocks all the time. I don't think there's enough power from the siphon to suck him out of there. Where's an empty plastic bottle when you need one... *sigh*...

I also have the sinking feeling that the tiny red crawling things in my refugium may be baby camel shrimp. I hope they all get eaten by my clown fishes in the main tank :twisted:

I guess I will try it with a Ramune bottle for now because I have a billion of those. Are camel shrimp more active during the night? Just wondering when to set the trap.

Most shrimp are nocturnal, but i know mine will come out for the promise of food. Plus by putting it in there during the day he might become comfortable with it so he is more likely to check it out that night.

I put the bottle in, I have no idea how any shrimp is going to get into the bottle though. It should be sitting straight up?

shrimp always go backward, so wait until he is in a spot that backwards means the back glass or corner. dont be sneaky about it, make a sudden movement causing him to shoot backward instead of sulk into his hole...no against the back glass try to get underneath him, making up the only escape route. They are slow swimming forward so it should be no trouble at this point

yeah the bottle trick did not work. I might look into manual removal or something. Maybe if I moved the rock that these guys are on I can get them out.

Back