Removing Long Tentacle Anemone

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I an trading my LTA and some frags for some other frags and stuff. What's the best way to remove the LTA from the tank? He is mostly attached to rock, not embedded in the sand. Should I just gather it all up and pull easily or is there a better way to do it?

Is it planted in the sand all the way to the bottom glass? Usually, LTA's like to do that---If so it may be a little difficult the way little_fish described. I always use my fingers by massaging the foot where it is attached it will begin to detach but you have to be patient.
An ice cube will also work if you are nervous about touching it.

I'm not sure, I can't see the foot right now but last time I saw it it was just on the bottom of a rock just below the sand. I'll try the metal knife method and hope that works.

How big is the rock you saw it attached to? Last resort could be to remove the entire rock. Most of us wouldn't miss just one rock, especially if it was buried in the sand. :-)

I eventually got it out. I used the cold knife method and it eventually released. It was actually attached underneath the large rock it was on. I had to basically turn the rock over to get to the foot of it. Unfortunately it no longer exists. The guy I traded it to, he had a wave maker on his tank and the anemone found it's way to it and he basically found it shredded into a lot of pieces.

that sucks. a good way to remove an anemone is take ur powerhead off the glass and put it right in front of the nem. itll let go on its own.

Back