Return Pump for 75 Gallon Tank and 20 Gallon Sump

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
I am trying to decide on which return pump to use for my current 75 gallon build. I've looked around a lot and it seems there are a lot of answers like "well it depends on your overflow." Well in my case that's wrong because my overflow has a lot of headroom (it's a custom glass-holes.com one that has max 1500 gph!), so I can get pretty much whatever pump I want up to that limit (which is way too high).

So how many GPH rated pump should I get? I was thinking a mag drive 9.5 or Quiet One 4000, but the girl at my LFS told me that's probably even a little bit too high. I ran a mag drive 7 on my 55 gallon with a 10 gallon sump, and so I figured a 9.5 might be good. What do you think?

Another question, I have 2 3/4" return kits (each one is rated to like 1100 gph), should I install both just to leave myself headroom (and allow very low resistance) or just one?

The QuietOne pumps are okay if you want a submersible pump....MagDrive pumps are bullet proof but they throw out some heat...and that all warms the water up....

I prefer external pumps myself.....completely....

Which size/flow rate would you recommend for my size tank and sump though? Yeah I've had a Mag before, I've thought about trying the Quietone pumps

You don't want more 10x going thru your sump. The longer your water is in your sump the more it's getting skimmed and getting cleaner. A mag 9.5 would be good.

Use one pump that provides the 5 - 10X turnover through your sump. Do you have two overflows or just one? If two overflows split the return flow between the two return risers in your tank. If only one overflow then just use one. The reduction in flow will be negligible in the reality of the situation.

Back