Rookie here

ShuMurph

Reefing newb
Hi I'm brand new to salt water aquariums and have had the 55 corner tank running for 6 weeks. Just added the cleanup crew including a black urchin along with 1 cardinal and 1 dotty. I really like the tangs but am confused about putting different fish together as I understand these are aggressive? Can someone please help me clarify what gets along with what? Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome. A 55 is going to be too small for a Tang, though you would most likely be able to get away with having just one in there.

Dr. Fosters and Smith have a reef fish compatibility chart. Check there before buying a fosh to make sure you will not have issues.

Thank you. My thought is to keep the fish small. I'd like to have a few schools of something rather than just a couple of larger fish. I'm hoping I could get a couple of small tangs and or triggers unless you recommend something similar? I spoke to the owner of my local fish store and he told me I could trade the fish back in when they get to big.

tangs or triggers do not stay small. if you feed them they grow. if you dont they die. its very difficult to have schools of fish in a salt tank. you are thinking something like a school of freshwater tetras. you dont get that unless you have a tank in the of thousands of gallons. marine fish dont work that way. you can put small schools in there but the dominate fish or pair in the school will torture the others to death. i would recomend that you look at getting 1 fish of each of 5 or 6 individual species that would get along. ie. a pajama cardinal, a blennie, a pygmy angel, a wrasse,. etc. have lots of hidy holes and dont try to crowd too many in there. you could have a very nice display and there are lots really nice colourful small fish that dont do well with another of their own kind. just be careful what you buy and do a bit of research so the fish you buy are compatable.

Back