Sadly, the peppermint has passed

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Mo, our peppermint shrimp, has passed. I'm pretty sure it was the nitrates...I tested it the other day it was around 5ppm, but today it was up to 20ppm. No doubt due to the addition of the fuge and the rock from the 45 that I moved...I moved the mud into the new fuge, and nod doubt due to the stirring, caused the nitrate spike. The water was cloudy (as expected) for a day, so that's probably what caused it.

I've got salt water prepping for a water change. I loved Mo, too. He had character, even swimming to the top to take food of my feeding stick.

EDIT: Oh poop! there's around .25ppm of ammonia :frustrat:

Aside from a water change, what else should I do? You think you know enough, then you get hit with a whammy and then you go blank on what to do.

Last edited:
Yeah, we're going to get another. Hopefully things will settle by next week. I was going to add some chromis, but that will have to wait.

At first I thought he got too close to the pistol shrimp...but once I saw my levels, it was probably the cause. Thanks...you can always count on sympathy from the reefers! No small critter is taken for granted :)

sorry for your loss. You could try prime into the tank the bottle says it "turns ammonia into a safe non-toxic form that can be removed by the bio filter" what ever that means.

Damn...I think I threw that bottle away...not that it would've done good, since it was old anyway. I hooked up a skimmer to the 125, and wouldn't want the Prime to affect the skimming process anyway.

Prime doesnt effect the skimmer at all. I use it all the time. I dont 100% trust the water I use so I always add prime to it just in case.

I just tested my levels again, and looks like it is actually 0ppm ammonia :) Still 20ppm nitrates, so i'm still doing a water change.

Thanks for that info, Ted...I'll probably pick up a small bottle for the "just in case" next time :)

Back