Sea Cucumber

I had a pink/green cucumber and had it for 3 years. the average life span was 2-3 years. Most species don't live too long but when they do die they can pollute your tank rapidly. So you should take them out soon.

They eat anything that floats in the water . I would feed mine directly though, I would feed it phytoplankton,mysis,and copepods if I could find them.

The problems with them though is that they don't like to be bothered. Don't be shaking or poking the tank or they will retract. They are similar to feather dusters.

I once had a cleaner shrimp and he attacked the cuc and I had to take it out.

You shouldn't have these if you plan on getting a cuc:

aggresive fish
big filters
shrimp
crabs
(some starfish)

There are a couple different types of cucumbers, So try and specify which you are talking about please. There are the kind Hibye posted which are filter feaders much like a feather duster. And he is correct that they will poison and polute the tank if they are stressed or if they die.
There are also tiger tail cucumbers, they are not filter feeders, they eat detritus, they will usually find a place in the sandbed to stay and will filter out the detritus. They would be a great addition to a reef tank, but they also can be poisonous if they die. I have known several people who have kept them and love them, But ive not been willing to take the chance.
Hope this helps.

I had a cucumber (tiger tail) disappear in my sandbed and it spiked my nitrates to 150+. I couldn't get my nitrates down for months, because I couldn't find the body in the sand. It slowly decomposed over time, and it took a lot of work to get my water parameters back in line.

They are great for keeping your sand stirred up and clean, but like a lot of animals in this hobby, they are risky to keep.

If you want to get a cuke you might want to think about getting a filter feeder one because they will go straight to the filter/powerhead when you get one. They stay on the glass the whole time. sea apples and the pink/green cukes stay on the glass all their life so it is easy to know if they are stressed or not.

i have multiple cucumbers in both tanks and had one die with no ill effects. I think when one dies it has possiblities to harm your tank but if you have good filtration than you will have no problems.

all mine are sandsifter cucumbers that keep my sandbed clean.

Back