sea hare

salt01

Reefing newb
Hello all i bought 2 sea hares for my 110 gal and they dont seem to want to get off my sand bed. had them for 2 weeks now and one tends to bury itself in my sand and they dont want to go up and eat my hair algea off the rocks up high. Dont know if they are lazy and just want to eat what they can reach or what.Ive even put them up on my rock and they still go to bottom of tank and eat down there. Any help would be app. thanks

Hi and welcome to the site!
There are some reasons that sea hares are for the experts only. They like shade from lights and perfect water conditions.
Everyone is going to want to know the exact numbers from your tests. Please post those and also, other tank inhabitants, how long the tank has been set up, have you ever used copper medications, have you been feeding caulerpa?

Most seahares are obligate feeders, which means they only eat one type of algae (usually bryopsis), so if you dont have that type of algae growing, they are just going to starve to death in your tank.

Also, seahares wont solve your algae problem, they just cover it up. It a much better idea to identify why you have algae in the first place and then solve that issue.

Can you please tell us how big your tank is, what fish you have in it, what you are feeding, how much you are feeding, what do you have for lighting and how old are your bulbs, are you using tap water, what sort of equipment are you running on your tank, and finally what are the actual number results of your water chemistry tests.

hey everyone! my tank is 110 gal tall. t-5 lights brand newbulbs 6x54 .mixed reef mushrooms lps sps. fish flame angel bicolor angel algea blenny 2 mated percs and yellow tang. cuc is scarlets, blue legs,cucumber,mathrix,turbos,and a few other snails 2 sea hares coral banded shrimp. water params:

sg 1.0245
ammonia 0
phos 0
nitrate and nitrite 0
mag 1320
dkh 10
ph 8.2

the bad part about my tank is its by a window but no way to move it.House is full of windows i just keep the blinds down. coralife skimmer and top off system and RO unit. 4 powerheads koralia 1k gph. sump and i keep carbon and phosban in the overflow in sump

Back in the day when I had a sea hare it took it's time cleaning the DSB until there was nothing left and then it made it's way up. Give it some more time. Also, you probably have a phosphate problem. The algae is likely using the phosphates, that's why your test reads 0. Good luck.

Back