setting up new Biocube 14

bucfan

Reefing newb
I have a Biocube 14 which I used for freshwater. I decided to dump the gravel and go with live sand to get a better effect but have now decided to go saltwater with coral and fish. I had washed the live sand in prep of the freshwater fish and filled the tank with sand and water. Now if I want to do coral do I have to remove all the water and sand or am I ok by just adding salt and live rock? Also what other steps do I need? I guess a protein skimmer is a must.

Also any suggestions for how many and what type of fish will be best suited for this tank? I like a busy tank but don't want to overpopulate. My wife definitely wants a clown fish or two in there.

if the water you have the tank filled with is tap water, get rid of it and go buy 14 gallons og RODI water or distilled water to fill it, do your water changes with the same. This will save you big headaches later.

Dont put a deep sandbed in the tank, 3/4" or less this will also save you some headaches

you dont need a skimmer, the ones they sell for the nanos are junk anyway
get in the habit of doing a 2 gallon water change weekly

you could also put a bag of activated charcoal in the filter section to help with organics

if you put two clowns in that tank you are pretty much done with fish, it is too small for much more than that

you can add salt and live rock now, as long as nothings in the tank thats living

put your rock in, add your salt, and let it do its thing for at least two weeks

Test your water for amonia and nitrates, when they are both at 0, do a small water change and you are ready to add your fish

You won't be able to find a protein skimmer for that small of a tank that will work, so you are better off just keeping up with water changes.

I also recommend not using tap water -- it's bad news for saltwater tanks.

In a 14 gallon tank, you could keep 1 or 2 small fish, so choose wisely! Clowns are very territorial and aggressive, so a pair of clowns would be fine, but you probably wouldn't be able to add any other fish.

Back