silicone ???

fishbait

I found Nemo
are there any differences between regular 100% silicone and the "aquarium" silicone? i have read the label on the regular silicone and it says that it releases methanol and ammonia while curring. from what i can tell aquarium silocone is just 100% silicone too. and the the aquarium silicone says to let cure for 48 before coming in contact with aquarium water. is this for the same reason? is it just marketing hype to make a label for aquariums and sell it to us hobbyist for a few extra bucks? i'm hopeing someone else has researched this too. none of the hardware stores around here keep aquarium glue. and i'm not paying 10 bucks for some online and then paying another 10 bucks to ship it here. and the lfs wants 10 dollars for a little toothpaste sized tube of it. if all i can do is drive 10 minutes from my house and buy a tube for 3 dollars at the hardware store, then that's what i will do.

i worked on a pet shop in my younger ages, we use clear regular silicon for repairing leaks or cracks in tanks,..we let them empty for about 24 to 48 to allow silicone to dry..we checked so many times the label in aquarium and regular clear silicone and we couldnt never find a difference, just the price..but ill wait till a more experimented hobbiest has to say about this topic..

No difference that I know of. I have used 100% silicone in my 55 and have had no problems. I read were one person said it's not as strong, but I'm think it's the same stuff.

the back of most tubes of 100% silicone at the hardware stores up here say "not reccomended for aquariums or cement" anybody know why?

The reason they say stuff like that is either to protect them selves or they have a contract with the person who sells it as aquarium silicone to not sell the 100% as aquarium silicone for a cheaper price. I dont know if you know about the south down sand but when the sold it they bagged some for aquariums and some for home projects out of the same place but marked the one for home projects not to be used in aquariums.

I've used the regular old silicone too. No need to pay a higher price for a label. Just make sure you DON'T use one that has anti-mold or anti-mildew or anti-bacterial stuff in it.

So i went out and bought the aquarium silicone $5.99 and I bought a tube of the "Not recommended for aquariums or cement" silicone for $1.99..... The aquarium silicone smelt more like vinegar, the hardware store stuff smelt more like chemicals. Considering my tank cost thousands of dollars I'm not going to risk it over saving $4. Just my freaking good for nothing opinion.

i visited with the guy at the lfs yesterday. all he has ever used is plain silicone. he just lets it cure for three or four days before getting it wet. it's been 50/50 on silicone oppinions so far. it's kinda like asking what's the best filter to run or the best skimmer. lol ,you'll ask 50 people and get 49 different answers.

So i went out and bought the aquarium silicone $5.99 and I bought a tube of the "Not recommended for aquariums or cement" silicone for $1.99..... The aquarium silicone smelt more like vinegar, the hardware store stuff smelt more like chemicals. Considering my tank cost thousands of dollars I'm not going to risk it over saving $4. Just my freaking good for nothing opinion.

good point!

when you consider that you will never have to regularly use silicone i think i would play it safe like hawk. yeah its probably the same but how often are you really going to use silicone. and the price difference is that of a couple snails. big deal

i couldn't believe what i saw today. i went to a place called premium aquatics today, (the only thing premium in there was there prices) and they had the plain old DAP brand 100% silicone that you buy at the hardware store for .99 cents a tube and they had a 12.99 price sticker on it! i thought about hitting the guy in the freaking head with it. that freaking idiot! needless to say i didn't buy anything there.

I have way to much money in mine as well I will spend the extra money. Have not needed it yet. It might have metal of some kind in it. if its not reccomended for aquariums they can leave bi- products in it.

The smell your getting is a chemical that makes it cure faster. After the silicone is dry you wont get anything secreting out of it anyways. Thats my opinion if its worthy! If one were to use the colored kind that would be a whole different story but I cant imagine anyone needing that.

Back