Sit on top refugium

ReeferRob

Reefing newb
So I've been kicking this idea around for some time of a fuge to sit on top of the sump. I have the room, and an old Reef Lake sump that has donated itself to the cause. Gonna put a tray of mud in it as well as a 4" remote deep sand bed with assorted algaes in there. Pics will come some time this weekend as I still need a bag of sand to do the photo shoot. I got a returned fuge light from Amazon for $38 and change delivered so this is gonna be on the cheap cheap because I'm going to tap into the return for water to the fuge. I have already bored out a 46mm hole in the bottom for the standpipe return to the sump. I just don't have the room in my sump for algae and I'm not sure I want it there, there's already a 70mm deep sand bed in there.

My only sump is a refugium with a protein skimmer in the receiving side of the tank. the refugium has been up and working now for about 8 years and i am sold on the benifits. I know there is a lot of controversy that surrounds a refugium but as for this old fart i think they are the only way to go to reduce nitrates, nitrites, phosphates and ammonia.

My sand bed is six inches deep in refugium and i do not have any invets in the tank other than pods.

Back