Skimmer Noob Here...

Discussion in 'Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment' started by Grouper954, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Grouper954

Grouper954 Reefer Addict

Alright so a little background info...

I've had this tank setup for about 2-3 weeks now. It's a 55 gal and my first saltwater tank. Right now I've got live sand, about ~30 lbs of dry rock and a 5 lb piece of live rock to seed, and an AquaTop CP-12 Powerhead @ 1,321 gph. (I know I need much more live rock, waiting for my job to re-open it's doors)

I have a Penn-Plax Cascade 700 that was included in the package deal when I bought the tank. I tried to hook it up but can't get it to prime. Help here would be appreciated.

But on to the skimmer. I bought it used 3 days ago from a friend of mine for 50 bucks. It's a CPR BakPak 2 with a Rio 600gph pump. It came with Bio-Bale media but the website advises not to reuse it if it has dried out....it sat out of his tank for about a month or two. And was never cleaned. However this "don't reuse" thing could be a marketing tactic by CPR.

Anyways, I have had the skimmer hooked up for 3 days now and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I cleaned everything with hot water and paper towels when I got it, minus the pump. The skimmer has completely removed the oil slick I had, but I feel like there should be more bubbles. Here's pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Grouper954, Dec 19, 2011
  2. Grouper954

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

Well your water level in your tank appears low. Also, you are not getting enough sir to that Rio pump. There should be an air line connected to the intake of the pump, make sure it is open. Also, you should have cleaned everything in vinegar and water
    fastrd400, Dec 19, 2011
    Grouper954 likes this.
  3. Grouper954

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

Also moving this to equipment.
    fastrd400, Dec 19, 2011
  4. Grouper954

Dana42078 Dana

I'm also a noob when it comes to skimming but my reef octopus has about a billion more bubbles than what I seen in your pic. +1 fast for water level way too low. You have to dial your skimmer in.....as in finding the right height for your collection cup and the anoint of air going into your skimmer via your air hose. I was pulling out black shit the first day mine was set up.....
    Dana42078, Dec 20, 2011