Skimmer Question

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
Hello Guys,

I just bought a protein skimmer that can be use in the sump or hang on the sump. The pump has to be inside the water to work is not an outside pump. I want to put the skimmer outside the sump, not hanging on and the tube that goes from the pump to the skimmer might be like 2 feet long or longer. Would that cause a problem with the air bubbles reaching the skimmer or it doesn't matter how far away the pump is from the skimmer?

If that is a problem could I connect one of those air pumps to the air intake of the protein skimmer pump? Would that work?

I think it's ok because the thing that makes the bubbles is in the skimmer, not the pump. Just go up in size on the hose for that distance, the hose gives resistance and drag so make it larger to keep the flow from the pump to the skimmer.

I want to put the skimmer outside the sump, not hanging on and the tube that goes from the pump to the skimmer might be like 2 feet long or longer. Would that cause a problem with the air bubbles reaching the skimmer or it doesn't matter how far away the pump is from the skimmer?
Chances are that will not work. That's not a real good skimmer to begin with and for it to work best, the pump should only be a few inches from the skimmer body.

I tried using a piece of vinyl tubing with a MJ1200 to run my skimmer. The pump ended up being about 1 foot away from the skimmer body.

It sucked.

I don't know why, but for some reason those bubbles won't carry smoothly through the hose for even a short distance. They stick back together and create 100 LARGE bubbles instead of 1 million tiny bubbles.

Back