"Squid" Wave Maker

they work great, and it's a great idea.

The more water you push through the SCWD the faster the current will switch for you. It's a great and cheap product for making sure that your return lines aren't just constantly doing exactly the same thing.

The only thing I don't like about them, really has nothing to do with the product itself. Most people use them on their return lines, which is fine but your return line isn't used for flow in the tank, it's used for filtration (returning filter water to the tank basically). I like a low turnover in the sump. I think the best use for a SCWD would as a substitute for an OM squirt or super squirt on a closed loop.

Sorry, I did mean the 1" ones. I placed am order for one of those and also 2 MH Phoenix bulbs on your site earlier today. Looking forward to getting them. Thanks.

I have used the 3/4 inch SQWD for years with good success. They do fail after a year or so, BUT for the price it is a good way of creating alternative currents in a tank. I use mine on the return pump from the sump. IT definitely reduces flow- so use a more powerfull pump than you originally planned.

I have used the 3/4 inch SQWD for years with good success. They do fail after a year or so, BUT for the price it is a good way of creating alternative currents in a tank. I use mine on the return pump from the sump. IT definitely reduces flow- so use a more powerfull pump than you originally planned.

Thanks for the info. You said they fail after about a year. When the do that do they just stick on one side instead of alternating sides or do they block up altogether? :question:

mine just quit alternating- I have "fixed " that several times now by cleaning it= forcing reverse flow into it.I have heard of others that have taken them apart to clean.

mine just quit alternating- I have "fixed " that several times now by cleaning it= forcing reverse flow into it.I have heard of others that have taken them apart to clean.

They sound like a pain to clean. Guess I'll find out I ordered the larger unit. Thanks for the info!

they get dirty and "basicly" you cannot clean them, but check out the diy articles on the net and people are oppening them up and cleaning them by making a door. pretty cool articles out there

Back