Strange Egg pod, ID anyone?

charlesp123

charlesp123
Found this Strange Egg Pod on one of my zoanthids, and I have had a nudibranch problem before and this is not nudibranch egg pod. It has a black and white pattern with 3Dimensional size to it. having trouble finding it on the internet of what it might be. Anyone?

charlesp123-albums-specimen-picture2330-20130706-110243.jpg

charlesp123-albums-specimen-picture2331-20130706-110138.jpg

charlesp123-albums-specimen-picture2329-20130706-110159.jpg

Google Heliacus snails. They zoa eating snails. You might want to get rid of it. Some call them sundial snails.

That spiral shell is a sundial snail. Remove it as it is a predator of zoanthids and related corals.

There are people actually looking for sundials to remove zoas from their reef tanks.
Go ask around if you can put it to good use.

One trick is to keep them on a leash.
1. Get a piece of fishing line (a few feet long so one end can be hooked up outside the tank).
2. Superglue the fishing line to the back of the sundial's shell.
3. Place the sundial into the target zoa/paly colony.
4. If it wanders away, use the string to move the sundial back to where you want it.

This way, you always know where the Sundial is, and can move it around without putting your hands in the tank.

One trick is to keep them on a leash.
1. Get a piece of fishing line (a few feet long so one end can be hooked up outside the tank).
2. Superglue the fishing line to the back of the sundial's shell.
3. Place the sundial into the target zoa/paly colony.
4. If it wanders away, use the string to move the sundial back to where you want it.

This way, you always know where the Sundial is, and can move it around without putting your hands in the tank.

I love it....cool use for a pest....:death:

Back