Tank Crash

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
I don't know what happened, but my Ammo has gone sky high, I have nuetrilized it in the mean time, but the fish are going its not dropping, and I can't change it I've been running 50% water changes over the past many days, and nothing. I tried to pull out some live rock and create a QT for my Corals, and the Ammo went through the roof immediately.

Please help. I'm at the point of just letting it all go (and I feel like crap to do that to the fish) but right now it might be the right thing to do.)

If I let it go, I'm starting all over again, and will be pestering with a ton of questions.
(1- would I have to buy all new live rock?)

If you qt, make sure you put live rock in the qt tank (since you're not medicating it anyway) so you don't put them through another cycle. NO you do not need to buy new rock because the ammonia will break down anyway, and the nitrifying bacteria will be on the rocks. In fact the rocks will help speed up the breakdown.

Any clue what caused the spike? Anything big die? Just keep doing your water changes.

Did you have any thing die recently? Im curious as to why the tank would go through a mini cycle. And no need to buy new rock.

Also have you checked your test results against another kit?

I agree with Hannah test your water against another test kit.. if nothing has died recently or added, it seems weird that you wouldnt be able to get it under control and that it started in the first place..

I had a plate coral die, I saw the signs of the die off maybe a day late, but cleared immediately, I have made a QT, but as soon as I put some rock in that QT, it tested huge on the charts.

I'm using the API test kits, and this Ammo test on my DT is Blue within the 2 min.

It tests at 1+ on the QT in the 2 min.

What can I do?

What else has changed? I doubt a single coral would kick off a cycle on its own. Is there someone else you can verify the results with? ( like your local fish store?)

I agree with everyone else - you really need to check your water parameters against a different kit than the one you've been using to test.

We did have a lighting change that really kicked off some brown algae, the plate coral wasn't the only thing that crashed I had some zoas die off really slow, my corals just can't stay, they've added to it I'm sure, I did change out my carbon of this filter, but I washed it out as I have a 100 times before, from my freshie to this.

I went to my LFS, they were kind enough to sell me some of their cycled tank for a QT, I have acclimated them and so far they are swimming better.

Anybody have thoughts on what I can do about my DT, and the live rock that was in there that is Ammo soaked?

Sorry for bothering all, put the live rock and all in and let it run the cycle again.
lights, no lights?
As I was pulling the rock out, so I could get the fish without stressing them too much I found a mold (like white bread mold) on a couple of rocks. Any thoughts?

Also in the QT tank with very little rock, should I be doing daily 10% water changes?

sounds like the tank wasn't cycled properly to start? sorry I have no knowledge of how long ur tank has been up and running...

Also, I would imagine if a tank sits TOO long without anything to breakdown/decompose then the bacteria will have very small populations almost as if the tank had never cycled in the first place.

(btw, how is this comming?)

Well, for those who may have followed, all the corals are gone, lost my 2 clowns and 1 Chromis, the other 3 are doing fine in the QT, and with daily monitoring and water changes, they are fine.

I think due to too much light, an over feed from a mechanical feeder (which is now gone) and a huge Algae bloom, kicked another cycle through.

I have he fish in a QT and the DT, is cycling well as we speak, might be able to move everybody back next weekend.

Thanks to all for your guidance, tips and concerns.

Steve

Back