Tank Mates

Martinb

Reefing newb
Hello everyone,
Im not sure what fish I want to put into my new aquarium. I just have a 12 gallon nanocube, and I want to start a reef tank. I am thinking something along the lines of a dwarf lionfish, but would like something that is a bit more active, but just as colorful and interesting to look at. Other than that, I have no idea what fish I should get for my first ever reef tank.
thanks!
p.s.
I think I will have a peppermint shrimp, and several small hermit crabs to help clean the tank.

Hi Martinb welcome aboard.
In a 12 gallon you will be limited to 2-3 small fish. I think that size tank would be too small for a Dwarf Lionfish. Dwarf Lionfish like to stalk their prey by perching on the live rock and they need a lot of places to lerk. They don't do a lot of swimming. I would recommend small clownfish, firefish, or gobies.

Last edited:
Imo...I don't think a dwarf lionfish will be suitable in a 12gal reef...it will be too small and also, he will possibly eat you shrimps.

+2 on the above, lion fish require a bit of a larger tank, even for the dwarf ones... they perch on rocks and stalk their prey (anything moving) and a 12 g is not large enough for one... they need a 30g+ even for a dwarfie... you could probably keep a pair of clowns... you want to keep it to 2-3 small fish... in my sisters 10g reef she has 2 damsels and a few hermits and her corals....

Thanks guys! I think for my first reef tank, I will go with the two clowns. Any ideas on what corals I should put in there? I think for now, soft corals will be the best choice...

Everyone's got you covered. ;)

I have 2 percula clowns, neon goby, thread fin goby with pistol shrimp. In my 12 gallon nano.

Back