Tank Placement...

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
OK, I'm getting ready to pull my prism skimmer apart because it blows tons of bubbles in my tank no matter how slow I set the intake valve and I was thinking that I might try to move my tank. Right now it is in kind of a high traffic area that is in the hall next to the family room. I would like to move it into the family room next to some big windows. The spot is not drafty but will the natural light affect the algae growth? I can put sliders under the tank stand to move it but I don't want to keep moving it around. As always, thanks for any help....

Catherine

The natural sunlight will probably cause algae. One side of mine gets sunlight if the blinds are open but it doesn't cause algae.

The natural light may cause algae.But it can also cause the tank to run hot,especially in the summer.

are you talking about moving the tank when its full? since you have a small tank, i would at least remove half of the water and flatten the rocks so nothing falls.

I wouldn't attempt to move it when it's full and i wouldnt attempt to move it half full if the tank was any bigger.

Catherine,

I understand you aren't happy with your prism skimmer.
This may be a good opportunity to upgrade.

I have had tremendous success with a HOB skimmer from Octopus.
I use the BH-100F and it's been great for over a year now.
I have taken it down about every 3 months to clean it out and disassemble the pump for cleaning, and it's been a real workhorse.

Just a kind recommendation.

I've had tanks in front of windows before. Many years ago, when I was a teenager, I had 17 fish tanks in my parents house. They were EVERYWHERE and there was no way to avoid having some of them in front of windows.

In my opinion, it's a HORRIBLE idea. I would NEVER place a tank in front of window today. If you have anyplace else to put the tank, do it. In front of a window or anywhere the tank could get direct sunlight is a bad idea. I ALWAYS had algae problems with the tanks that were in front of windows.

Your parents must be very patient people! I think I'll keep my tank where it is. It is in a bit of a high traffic area but with two adults and one teen it's not like we go running through the house a lot! Thanks! Catherine

Back