Trouble Reading API Ammonia Test

RollTide15

Reefing newb
Hi, My tank has been going for 3 weeks and 4 days. I have my clean up crew and I recently added two Ocellaris Clowns. When I test for Ammonia it seems that I can no tell whether my levels are at exactly 0 or if there are trace amounts. The color is definitely not as green as the 0.25 ppm but it has the tiniest tiniest hint of green to it. I posted a picture here. Once in the right light and against a white backdrop the color more closely matches 0ppm. I also heard that the test strips are garbage and completely inaccurate?

Also I havn't done a true water change since starting my tank. At about week 2 I had topped off my water level with about 1/4 the level of my tank (its 40 gallons). I plan on doing a 15% water change tomorrow.

Welcome aboard! That is completely common for API's ammonia test. Mine does the same and I know I am at zero.
One tip, keep your parameters including water level as constant as you can. An auto top off is great for this or you can do what I do and top off a few times a day (with pure RODI water). Have fun with your new hobby and don't hesitate to ask questions :D

Thanks alot for the help! I probably do have small trace amounts of ammonia but nothing that will harm my new clowns. They have been in the tank for 3 1/2 & 4 1/2 days respectively. They get along great but they are somewhat picky eaters, especially the black one. I feed them pellets around lunch time and then a small amount of frozen mysis shrimp at night. It seems to be the size of the food most of the time when they spit it back out, little bastards haha. I also recently had my diatom bloom but I got some extra turbo snails and they are handling it. Below are my specs.

I plan to get a skimmer soon before I add corals. Suggestions would be appreciated!

-40 gallon tank
-40 pounds of live rock - 1/3 of it very premium marshall islands stuff that is rich in growth.
-36" Dual Lamp T-5 with white and blue bulb
-Emperor 280 Filter
-Maxijet 600 in circulation mode
-Heater
-Ammonia and Nitrite Test Kits
-Been using Microbacter7 since day 7
-Live Sand
-Been using Stability by Seachem since I put clowns in

Clean-up Crew
-6 Hermits
-3 Small Cerith Snails
-5 Turbo Snails
-1 Peppermint Shrimp
-1 Cleaner Shrimp

Fish
-1 Orange Ocellaris Clown
-1 Black Ocellaris Clown

Even trace amounts of ammonia are harmful even if it didn't kill them. From looking at yours though, it looks like you're at zero. You will need a nitrate and pH test kit and a few more after getting into coral such as alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. I'm not sure if your light will be able to sustain more than soft corals however. After getting your skimmer going you shouldn't need to run any external filters other than occasionally if you need to run some carbon. Let the rock and skimmer do all of the filtration for you.
I would also add one more powerhead for flow. Detritus will collect where you have low flow and become a nitrate source. Coral would also require more flow in the tank when you go down that road.
You can probably stop dosing the Microbacter and Stability. It isn't doing anything for you at this point.
I would feed them a variety of frozen foods and stay away from the pellets for the most part. Maybe as a treat occasionally. Feeding once a day is plenty. Some feed every other day. Remember that those nutrients you are putting into the system will start adding up. Nitrate problems are very common for this reason. If the pieces of food are too big for them, you can chop them up a bit.
The tank looks great!! Love that rock with the orange sponges on it, and I think I see some closed up zoas on the one on the very left! You might try putting those in the light and see if they open up!

also, welcome aboard. one of the things i have learned with the liquid test kits is to measure the colour in as much natural light as you can and press it up to the white part of the chart.

Ya the api test kit can be difficult...I have mine checked at the fish store whenever I go in just to be sure. There are many ways to do a reef tank. Some are just easier then others. Your lights will need to be upgraded for corals. A two bulb unit just aint gonna work. I have a similar size tank look at my build thread for ideas...Now I do this on a extreme budget so dont expect any fancy stuff..base systems are chinese knock offs but it works for me and the tank looks really pretty good.

Welcome to the forum....:Cheers:

Tide15 I hear you, I have I started my 29 Biocube with LR from TBS 8 days ago now. Trying to read my API ammonia test kit is hard it is usually .25-.50 and I think it is now at 0 or close to it. I was asking my 8 year old daughter and my wife for the past week "what color do you think this is closest to" we need to find a better test kit.

I would pass on the phosphate kit. For starters, they are highly inaccurate and the algae is so efficient at taking up any phosphates in the water that you will always get in accurate reading.

Thanks Ya'll for all of the suggestions. I also am curious about a few different organisms growing on my live rock. Below are pictures and questions:

What is this purple stuff, it seems somewhat soft and the top of it is more like a bubble with a stem leading to the rock?

What is this black stuff? It is like something black encased in a sack.

If you notice the little white tub in the middle this little hairy thing pops in and out of it. He
is by himself.

Thanks!

The purple stuff is red bubble algae I think

The black thing.. I have no idea

The little tube thingy I think may be a fan worm or featherduster

Red Bubble Algae
Black Sponge I think. I have some also, but the picture is a little blurry.
Featherduster

The only one that can be a nuisance is the bubble algae. Emerald crabs will eat it most of the time.

I actually just did research and the type of red bubble algae I have is desirable. It says the main way to differentiate is that desirable RBA grows up from stems where as the bad stuff is just little bubbles that creep along the rocks.

Nuisance Algae ID Guide

Back