Updated pics/ new build pics.

RYknow

Reefing newb
Hey everyone. Haven't posted anything in the last week. Been dealing with some things on the home-front.

We've recently added some new lighting to our 90 gallon, along with some new fish. I just wanted to share some pics.

Before:

100_4059.jpg

100_4060.jpg

After:

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

Here is the new hardware. A Home Depot special ($9.00 fixture, plus bulbs).

DSC00117.jpg

And here are some new fish pics.

Naso Tang (To replace Maynard, RIP little guy. :cry: )

DSC00133.jpg

Pink Anthias (for the little one in the house.)

DSC00103.jpg

And last but not least...a cool little guy! A Neon Goby!

DSC00105.jpg

AND!!!! Heres our new little project!! We decided to get a new little tank (picked up a nice little 20 gallon) for our bedroom, so we have a place to put the chocolate chip starfish, so we can start doing corals and stuff in the 90 gallon. We're planning on adding a couple clowns, flame angle or 6 six-line wrasse (haven't decided which yet), a yellow watchmen goby, and bangii cardinal. Anyway...here are some pics of the new little project, I'll be updating pics as we go in the coming weeks.

Here it is when we first got home.

DSC00052.jpg

Now for some cable management.

Back:
DSC00062.jpg

In cabinet:
DSC00121.jpg

And here it is from the top all setup, and filled up (The emporer 400 looks a bit large on this little tank! haha)

DSC00119.jpg

And one quick night shot. Can't wait to have sand, LR, and fish swimming around in there!!:^:

DSC00118.jpg

Well, thats it for now. Comment and suggestions encouraged!

RYknow

Hmmm, I know it's recommended to have at least a 125 gallon for the naso, but they even recommend a 125 for a sailfin. No one has advised me a 90 would be too small for the sailfin.

The naso is pretty small now, I'll keep him till his size is an issue. I'll find him a good home if it comes down to having to get rid of him.

It would be sad though, him and our Sailfin have become good friends! And it's strange. Ever since getting the Naso, the Blue Hippo has been less reclusive and now the three tangs hang out together all the time. It's pretty cool to watch them. The blue hippo is very small though. Only about 2" long.

RYknow

with the sailfin its not the siz of there body that makes them candidates for a 125 but the fact that they love lots of room to swim and with the naso its the body size and they love to swim and if it is in too small of a tank for too lonf then it can stunt its growth

Thanks reeffreak! I'm happy with the lights!! It's made a BIG difference! Not to mention the Protein Skimmer! I'm EXTREMELY happy with the Bermuda Rogue! I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a high quality HOB!

The combination of lights that we have now are two Power Glow 18,000K's, and 1 Atinic bulb. Is it possible to grow some corals? If so...what are some good, easy corals to get started with?

-RYknow

I like the looks of the candy canes you mentioned. Are those something I can grow with my current lighting configuration?

Where are some good places to get Corals? I spend a lot of time checking out Dr's Foster&Smith. I've checked out Premium Aquatics, Frag Farmer, Reef Hot Spot, and a few others. Just primarily looking for reasonable pricing, and just a good place to deal with (fast shipping, good communication, etc.).

-RYknow

I cant say which on-line dealer is best for livestock.Mainly because if I cant see it up close and in person,I wont hand over money.But thats just me.

Those new lights really make the tank look great.Start with a couple of the soft corals first.Like mushrooms,zoas,and xenia.Then work your way up from there.

I would need to know the type of light and how much wattage to recommend corals.I know the standard light isn't good for anything except for fish.The additional fixture,what type and how many watts.The kelvin rating doesn't help much,although 18k is kinda high.Corals grow better at 10k or even lower.

I use The Diver's Den at Live aquaria solely.If you ever use Reef Hot Spot,give us some feedback.I've been considering using them but haven't tried yet.

The light fixture that I picked up is dual 32 watt. I'm not sure what the stock light fixture is capable of. I would imagine it's probably in the 32 watt range as well.

Just to clarify. With the stock light fixture, I replaced the bulb with a Power Glow. So the configuration is as follows.

Stock Light Ficture: Power Glow 18,000K

Dual bulb fixture: 1 - Power Glow 18,000K
1 - Marine Glow Atinic.

I assume I'm running +/- 96 watts.

-RYknow

Last edited:
I'm checking out the Divers Den right now. Pretty nice stuff in there! Pricey though! For a first time buyer anyway. But this ( ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+8&ddid=45796 ) caught my eye.

Is this Torch Coral something that I can grow with my lighting? And is this something clowns would take a liking too? I'm hoping clowns would enjoy this! I love watching clowns. haha.

-RYknow

i hate to break it to you but there is not a single coral you can keep alive in your tank with on 1 watt a gallon, and the divers den is so expensive because of the amount of care and the quarantine procedures they have for all incoming animals. also the only thing you really want your clowns to take a liking to is an anemone

Well that sucks. :frustrat:

Due to electrical issues in our apartment, I don't think I can get too much more lighting. The house we live in has a piss-poor electrical setup. One half of our apartment is on one breaker, and the other half is on another.

We blow the breaker on a regular basis. It's very frustrating. :frustrat: I'm ussually on my computer (which is a BEAST and sucks down the electricity like a tang eats. haha), and my g/f will be watching TV. If she gets up to run the microwave (which is the smallest we could find. Takes 6 min. to cook a hot pocket). It blows the breaker. :grumble:

-RYknow

Last edited:
Yeah. It's pretty frustrating. My g/f and I would really like to get a house. But we just can't afford something like that right now. So unfortunetly we're going to be stuck in this apartment for awhile I think.

I've tried to talk my g/f into letting me run an extension cord from the bedroom (which is on the other breaker) over to the 90 gallon, so we can run a nice light fixture (hopefully get the Nova Extreme Pro). She isn't willing to let that happen though. She's afraid of a fire (not that I can blame her).

Not to mention the new 20 gallon is in the bedroom, which is going to add a strain on that breaker anyway. Sigh...just can't win. :frustrat:

-RYknow

Back