Urgent water change info

AlwaysImproving

Reefing newb
Ok, so I'm doing my first water change today...Im scared my tap water is too bad to put into the tank. I treated it with the tap water conditioner that removes ammonia and chlorine and mixed in the appropriate amount of instant ocean. After mixing everything I can't even see through the water and its very very cloudy. Is this normal? (I dont think so)

It is mixed in a rubber maid container now and my tank desp needs a water change, is it safe to put this into my tank?

1- you really shouldnt use tap water, unless you absolutely have to, you can buy RODI water, or distilled water at the grocery store or wal-mart

2- you should mix your saltwater up in a container and put a powerhead or a small pump in with it, and let it mix for 24 hours so all the salt is disolved.

3- if the tank desperatley needs it, and your only mixing 5 or 10 gallons, you could probably get away with letting it mix for a few hours at the bare minimum

All above is + with the addition of a heater in the mixing tank.
DEFINITELY don't use your tap water and conditioning junk.
You will have many probs down the road....better to start off on the right foot.

Good Luck.

zoots cot it covered mate never use tap water for marines. mate your asking for trouble you will end up with high nitrates and phosphate and algea. tap water for marines especialy for reefs is a no no. ive only been a member of this forum a few days and i cant belive how many people use tap water over ur side of the pond. corals reefs are some of the most stabe enviroments anywere in the world and tap water is no good

If you can't find RO water, you should at least use a charcoal filter like a Brita or something like that. It wil definitely help. A Wholefoods store has RO machines for .39 cents a gallon. I used to to go over there with a dozen gallon jugs to get RO water.

Back