uv sterilizer

artur

Reefing newb
I have 125 reef tank. Always used 25w Gamma uv. But my question is do I really need one in reef tank? I newer had any problems with algae or parasites. Do you use one on your tanks? The other thing is my is plumed in my main line .My return pump Mag 12 pushes water thru chiller and uv thru main tank. It is about 650 g/h. Is it really even doing his job wit that flow? Thanks.

It depends on the model, you have to check what the manufacturer recommends for flow through the UV. Some people swear by them, most (like me) have never used them. If you're happy with it then keep using it.

there is a specific requirement for the amount of water that passes through the uv, too much flow and it does nothing, parasite control is questionable at best and a uv destroys bacteria, a reef without bacteria is a starving reef

the thing that keeps me from useing one is i dont want it to kill pods passing through it from the fuge

I have never used a UV or chiller for any of my tanks. They are not necessary, but some people love them, because they do help minimize disease and algae.

Back