Vitamin C Dosing

OK I know a lot of people soak food in Vitamin C but what about dosing? There are some pretty big treads on RC about it... thoughts?

I have spent probably $200 on zoanthids this month... they are already looking like crap. So I am going to start this NOW instead of watching them turn in to :pooh:.

There is not a Vitamin C test, however if you measure ORP (I do not) you will see fluctuation during the dosing. I use the Vitamin C dosing calculator to figure out how much I need to use. Dosing is done by raising PPM (parts per million) the desired ppm depends on what is trying to be accomplished.

I am using Sodium Ascorbate I picked up locally so it was $16.99, but should last my tank a while. My dosing cycle will last 14 days I started yesterday, I am slowly working up to 30ppm X 2 a day, this is specifically for zoanthids that don't open or have a fungal infection. For over all benefit of your tank you can dose 5ppm X 2 day and still see affects.

Based on my tank 60g
Day 1 10ppm 1X day .5tsp
Day 2 10ppm 2X day .5tsp
Day 3 20ppm 2X day 1tsp
Day 4 30ppm 2X day 1.5tsp continue this does for the remainder.

Before Dosing
PH: 8.2 (lights on)
ALK: 9
MAG: 1300
Calcium: 420

Dosed .5tsp Raising 10ppm

Before Dosing
PH: 8.0 (lights off)
ALK: 9
MAG: 1300
Calcium: 420

Zoanthids Vitamin C Dosing
Coral Growth / Vitamin C Dosing

I want to know more about your results as well. When I dosed vit C it was just add a few drops every day when I fed the fish.

How about some before/after photos? How are they looking like crap now? Personally, while I think vit C can prob help, I think more likely there is a more fundamental reason they're looking bad.

So far on day 2 I am not seeing anything but they said it takes up to 7 days to see changes. All of my levels are keeping steady, while I dose. I have one frag that is hardly open and receding for 2 days another that has been closed for 3. My 1 purple hornet is fine that is good...and then ones right next to them that look just fine, some are :pooh: others are ok... I will post some pics soon.

I think you should do a freshwater dip on those zoas. They shouldn't be acting like that, and if there's a problem (which there obviously is), vitamin C isn't going to fix what's already wrong.

All your other corals are doing great, which leads me to believe there are pests on your zoas.

OK just to be safe I am doing a FW dip now, I am and have looked at them as I am doing this I don't see anything other then one of the closed ones is pretty close to my cup coral that does put out a stinger thing every once in a while.... but really its not just the closed ones I was looking at pics from the first day then they peek 2 ish days later and start to look ugggg..... Its like deflated...yeah

Sorry about the pics my GF took HER camera to school today... uggg so insensitive taking her camera. Mine doesn't have a macro and you can't really see much...

Last edited:
Yeah beat downs are not really an option for me... my GF is 6'3''
short+and+tall.jpg

Here are a few pics of them now, they don't look terrible just blah... I have some macro ones but they are in camera that I have not got back yet....

DSC_7971.jpg

DSC_8504.jpg

DSC_8239.jpg

This was put into my tank Monday. Look at it, hopefully this will stay open and pretty for a while...
IMG_4444.jpg

what kind of vitamin c are you using? ie, liquid, tablet... etc. Something to worry about is, vitamin c degrades real fast in liquids. I mean, within a day or two of being dissolved. The decomposition products do still have some antioxidant capability, but it's not as good as "fresh" vitamin c. And regardless of if it's a liquid or a solid, you should store it in the fridge wrapped in foil-- keep light out and slow down the degradation a bit.

good luck! seems like an interesting method.

Back