WEIRD THING.... DISASTER or GOOD?

nikkoabenales

Reefing newb
Just noticed this... It opens then closes then opens again... looks interesting but, is it bad?
img_3392-jpg.23927

There's been a disaster...

I went to a 3 day trip and when i came back, this was waiting for me...
img_3388-jpg.23922
img_3389-jpg.23923
img_3390-jpg.23924
img_3391-jpg.23925
img_3392-jpg.23926

Just so depressing... It looks so dirty... I'm actually surprised that nothing died... But the brown thing just kind of took over the tank... It's everywhere! It's on the glass, the crushed corals, the live rock, the power head and hose... What's this brown thing? How can i get rid of it? Oh wait, do i need to get rid of it? :(

Looks like Diatoms to me. What are your tanks water parameters? Are you using RODI water or water from the tap? You can scrap it off the glass and rocks. Water changes with RODI water will help clear them up faster. You can also add some Nerite snails if you wish. It is pretty standard for newer tanks to have an outbreak of Diatoms.

Here is a site that can help you ID algae in the future: http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

I don't have my reef test kit right now... my cousin borrowed it...

So I don't have to worry? My girlfriend got depressed when we saw the tank coz she loves Nemo (bought it herself)... Thanks dude! :)

Definitely looks like diatoms. The first thing looks like a feather duster. Hard to tell though. How's the weather there? I grew up in Makati, myself :)

Yeah, good thing the diatoms are almost gone... The number of theses feather dusters are significantly increasing...

I'm from Manila... The weather's fine here. About 24 to 28 Celsius... Kamusta Kababayan? :)

Mabuti! Maligayang Pasko! (Translation: Great! Merry X'mas ) ;) I miss New year's there...with all the fireworks! I haven't been home since 1999...caught New Years. Lively as ever. 4th of July here in the U.S. ain't got nutthin' on Philippine Fireworks! A neighbor once shot off a whole belt of firecrackers...it was so big that it took a whole 8 minutes for all of them to go off....8 straight minutes of loud explosions lol

Feather dusters are good filter feeders. They won't grow too huge, but they're pretty to look at.

Absolutely! This Christmas, I'll be out of the country but I'll make sure to get back for New Year's! I"m sure there's nothing can compare with PH New Year Celebration... It's one of our traditions that's priceless... When are you gonna visit PH? Hope you get a chance to celebrate New Year's here at home soon!

I love feather dusters! They amaze me when sometimes I'm not looking at them then they suddenly open/close... Nice to see some life on the live rocks... :)

Maybe in the next 2 years, but tickets are so expensive, especially for a family of 5. My mom is going home for a month in February :D She will bring back goodies no doubt.

Back