What are these red bubbles?

mmpurvis62

Reefing newb
4704176471_b7ebc94903_b.jpg

4704176555_37298243c1_b.jpg

Red bubble algae?

Looks like you got a little aptasia growin there too. I get cyanobacteria outbreaks in my sump every once in a while and it looks like that sometimes. Also, what kind of camera did you use? Those are some great closeup pics!

Botryocladia pseudodichotoma i think?
common name is red grape algae

you can buy it in stores so i assume its beneficial

Just watch it and as long as it doesn't take over your tank, it could be beneficial like Dakwan said...the real fear you should have is the aiptasia on the left of the algae. I'd take the rock out and burn the little aiptasia with a sautering iron before it takes over your tank.

Just watch it and as long as it doesn't take over your tank, it could be beneficial like Dakwan said...the real fear you should have is the aiptasia on the left of the algae. I'd take the rock out and burn the little aiptasia with a sautering iron before it takes over your tank.

That's an interesting way to kill aiptasia.

Aptasia-x works really well I've had great sucess with it.

Can't I just take some tweezers and pull the aiptasia out? Its the only one I've seen in the tank.

Took the pics with a Nikon D5000.

If you try to pull them out you may break them in half and not fully kill them. Think of them as a weed in your lawn..If you just pull it, you may not be able to see it, but it's still there, and it'll continue to spread. Like others said get some Aiptasia X, it's easy to use.

Can't I just take some tweezers and pull the aiptasia out? Its the only one I've seen in the tank.

Took the pics with a Nikon D5000.

I tried that once. They squeeze back into their little hole and you can only grab pieces and parts of them. Doesn't work.

I beleave that those little tiny (asternia?) starfish, eat red bubble algea. Well at least they did in my tank.

Doesn't look like there is anything important on that one rock. Why not pull it out boil it then dry it and put it back in? That way that aptasia will not spread and the algae won't either?

Nab a couple peppermints. They're kind of hit and miss with whether or not they'll eat the aiptasia but both of mine destroyed all of the aiptasia in my tank within a week.

Back