what do i need?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
Hey all..I've been thinking about setting up a frag tank. Just a small ten gallon since I have an empty one. What would I need for it? I don't want to spend a whole ton of money on a tiny frag tank I just want something to start sticking frags in bc ive noticed that my hermits love to flip over my frags in my main tank. If anyone could direct me towards some affordable lighting fixtures that would be great. I don't need a skimmer or filter do i? Also does this tank need to cycle like a normal one? I don't plan on keeping fish in there. Just frags. Could I use a filter just for some water movement instead of having to buy another powerhead? I'm getting kinda excited for this actually. How much you wanna bet its gonna turn into a huge zoa garden....lol

You just need lights, powerheads, regular water changes and good water quality. I also wouldnt discount the power of fish poop in providing other critical nutrients not found in fresh made water. Also the tank should be cycled as well, like normal.

Thanks Hannah. I gave it a little more thought. Idk if I'm gonna do it or not yet...idk if its really worth buying all the stuff for. All I have right now is the tank.

If your LFS is like mine, they occasionally have QT packages that are available pretty reasonably. You could pick up one of those and have most of what you needed. Since you dont need the tank, it might actually be even cheaper

Well all I really need is a lighting fixture and a powerhead. What type of lighting fixture would be good for a ten gallon?

I'd think a simple T5 fixture would be the ticket, or even one of those PAR38 LED bulbs. I don't know the exact dimensions of the 10 gallon, but I'd think a single PAR38 bulb would be sufficient

And for flow, a get a maxi jet, no need to make it anything fancy if its just a frag tank. Are you planning on growing things out in this tank or just keeping them in there long enough for them to recover from fraggin?

Hopefully Fast will chime in here, I beleive he has some frag tanks

Prlly growing them out. The little frags I have in my main tank right now get turned over and stuff all the time by the crabs and its so annoying. I'm thinking ill put them in the frag tank and then grow them out for my lfs or sell/trade with local people. I have a 30 gallon filter. Could I use that to nice the water and put some live rock rubble in there for a little bit of bio filtration?

I think you'd be find doing it that way, sounds like the only real question item for you is lighting, you have LED's over your main tank right? I'd look at a PAR38 bulb for the frag tank, that should be sufficient I would think

I looked up that par38 led bulb...looks good to me but one question about that. Are you talking about the regular ones I could prlly find at the hardware store or do I have to get a brand name one like Ecoxotic from an aquarium site? Are they basically the same thing? The reg ones have 72 led bulbs in them vs. The Ecoxotic has five bigger led bulbs...if I can get away with the reg one that be great bc its only thirty bucks for a bulb vs. $115...

Could I get away with getting a normal one at the store. Or should I get one of those specialized aquarium ones?

Britt why not just get some cheap LED lighting. Marineland makes a 12' I think for something like 60 bucks. Stunner strips may also do the job, those are only $50 but IMO they are worth it because of the color options. Aqua Illuminations also makes really nice LED stuff with remote dimmers but that's a bit expensive for just a frag tank.

Reason I chime in is because I have a FLUVAL EDGE that I want to turn into a frag tank. I don't use the damn thing so I might as well get something out of it. Going to use egg crate and make a nice pyramid in there, and silicon some to the sides to utilize space, and I may use the marineland LED.

They do make T5/MH for smaller tanks, but I don't know any good brands for lighting that small.

The problem is the ballist is also the lid so I'll either have to mount better lighting in there or deal with stunner strips on the glass part. Do you think 2-3 stunner strips would provide enough light for some frags?

I looked around for led but didn't find anything in my budget. I'll have to check out the marineland tho. I didn't see that. I did find this which seems like a good deal and all the reviews are good. And the price is great also.

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

Britt they are really nice for the money, it's the light I had on my 29g for a while, I just returned it because I wanted to try another fixture. $60 bucks at my LFS.

Back