What size sump pump for a 300 gallon tank?

From what I've been told it's around 10x the tank size an hour. Might be more might be less, but I think 10x is good

Wow, totally misread your post, I thought you were asking about the sump. Your return pump should match the flow rating of your overflow plus whatever you estimate for head loss

If your overflow box drains 400 gph for example, you'd want a return pump rated for 400 gph at whatever head rating you need

+1 north. I have a 1200gph overflow box with a 1200gph return pump, and I highly recommend putting a ball valve on the return line to control it.

+1 north. I have a 1200gph overflow box with a 1200gph return pump, and I highly recommend putting a ball valve on the return line to control it.

Always have a ball valve on the OUTPUT side of the return pump. Also, do yourself a favor and use unions too, so if you have to disconnect the pump for service its easy to do so

Doesnt that cause back pressure and also wear on the pump? I always though it you where going to dial your pump back you needed a T with the diverted water going back to the sump...Dont know from practice but I could swear its in one of these books around here.

Wow, totally misread your post, I thought you were asking about the sump. Your return pump should match the flow rating of your overflow plus whatever you estimate for head loss

If your overflow box drains 400 gph for example, you'd want a return pump rated for 400 gph at whatever head rating you need

HAHA, that happened to me too

Go big, T it off, send that to the fuge and have a ball valve there too. I personally used a ball valve on both feeds and both returns, and run 2 separate return pumps.

Back