What's so special about fiji live rock?

the rock is one of the best filtration for your tank.. the more pourus the rock the more surface area for bacteria to grow to break down the bad stuff.
if you dont have rock now, you shouldnt think about getting it. you should get it..
ps i can get live rock too. hehe

Nothing. Rock from different places tends to have different shapes and densities (i.e. Tonga rock is usually branching, Caribbean rock is usually very dense with little pore space in it). Fiji rock is probably the best quality as far as shapes and density, but it's not *special* as in it can do things that other live rock cannot.

From my recent experience, the fiji rock is rather heavy, and most of what I was being offered was not that nice, but you get what you pay for and at 2.99 pound it was affordable. However, I found the Bali live rock to be much nicer and lighter, but it came with a price of 5.99 a pound.

But as for the scientific differences or what makes it so special, I'm not sure.

From my recent experience, the fiji rock is rather heavy, and most of what I was being offered was not that nice, but you get what you pay for and at 2.99 pound it was affordable. However, I found the Bali live rock to be much nicer and lighter, but it came with a price of 5.99 a pound.

But as for the scientific differences or what makes it so special, I'm not sure.

Do you go to a LFS in Northampton PA by chance? Just wondering because I work there and those are our EXACT prices for those rocks.

Anyway, fiji is nice I think because it's so dense that you can fit a lot more in a tank as opposed to bali or something that's much lighter.
You may be able to get say 250 pounds of fiji in a 100 gallon tank, where with bali you'd only be able to squeeze like 150 pounds because it's so bulky but not dense.

And bali may look nice on its own, but in the long run it becomes a huge pain in the ass to aquascape with and set corals on. I have about a 7 pound bali rock in my tank that I absolutely hate because I can't do anything with it.

Do you go to a LFS in Northampton PA by chance?

By chance I do....haha I really like that place, I went to another LFS over in the Orefield area (wont mention teh name) but before I got my stuff to set up my tank, I was shopping around. Well that place tried selling me EVERYTHING they coudl from DVD's, books, refugiums, RO/DI unit, etc, etc

Then I went to your store, and wow what a difference!

the orefield store gives a lot of info if your willing to take it. theyre really informative and great with customer services but a slightly higher price on some stuff... they werent trying to push a sale on you they were trying to get you started in the right direction. I buy/shop at both places, but when i have quesitons or need suggestions i normally stick with orefield. northampton only has 2 people to use as good sources of answers. everyone else just blows you off there...

the more porous the live rock the better it is for you tank. Fiji is the cheapest rock therefore the most popular. I love tonga but "if" you can get it anymore it won't be cheap. There is suppose to be a similar rock thats from vanuatu.

Although Northampton has a way bigger selection and much more variety then orefield I like the Orefield store better. They get more personal with you and get to know your tank and plus the prices are better. The coral card you buy (buy 2 get 1 free) is awesome and also applies for any livestock purchases!

Although Northampton has a way bigger selection and much more variety then orefield I like the Orefield store better. They get more personal with you and get to know your tank and plus the prices are better. The coral card you buy (buy 2 get 1 free) is awesome and also applies for any livestock purchases!

Employee discount for the win.

You may be able to get say 250 pounds of fiji in a 100 gallon tank, where with bali you'd only be able to squeeze like 150 pounds because it's so bulky but not dense.

yea, but even tho your getting more "pounds" of rock in the tank, i'd bet that cause the less dense rock is more porus, you get better filtering with the lighter rock....

pounds offset filtering ability for a given size rock, so just for example if you had a rock that was 6 inches on all sides, and was a perfet cube, and it weighed 5 lbs, then you compared that with a rock that has the same outter dimentions, but weighs 2.5 lbs, then you would get more filtration out of the lighter rock cause there are more spaces in there for the bacteria that do the work to live...

just a thought...

Back