Where to put my new leather coral?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I picked up a leather coral from my LFS today. I can put it in high light/high flow or medium light/ high flow or lower light/ lower flow. Which would a leather like better?

Thanks

Well I have mine in a high light high flow, it seems to be doing great I did have it on the bottom and it didnt like it at all,so I kept moving it up and finally found just the right place for it.

they are low light os i would start from the middle at the hi end and the bottom at the low side but it should do fine any place you put it.

I put him in medium light, low flow. I'll see how he does. Everything in my tank is so brown and yucky! So tired of this phase! Ran all my tests today. Water levels are all perfect but I've got brown yuck all over the place. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Leather tend to like a higher flow rate.It helps them *shed*.

Once you get into the green stage and cyano,you'll wish it was just diatoms again. But just keep up your water quality,and you'll eventually work through all the algaes.

Leather tend to like a higher flow rate.It helps them *shed*.

Once you get into the green stage and cyano,you'll wish it was just diatoms again. But just keep up your water quality,and you'll eventually work through all the algaes.

Shed???? Oy, this is driving me nuts!

They will kinda shrivel up and look bad.Plus they'll get a dirty white look to em.They like the flow because it blows that stuff off the coral.
Its their way of cleaning themselves.

Great, something else to look dirty in my tank! Moved my leather next to the intake of my HOB filter. I'll let the filter suck the crud off. I've been watching youtube videos of other tanks. I've noticed two things. 1. Everyone in the world has sugary white sand in their tank and I'm jealous. 2. People put LOTS of fish in their tanks! Didn't I read one inch of fish to 5 gallons of water? I was looking at a pretty yellow tang today and wishing I could get him but I've got 3 fish already. How much is enough?

Another question is,How much crud did those folks stir up to get all pretty sparkling white sand for their video?And how long have those tanks run being over stocked like that?
Theres a fine line between over stocked and just enough.And its better for all the animals to be under stocked any day.

Catherine you wont ever be able to keep a yellow tang in your current system successfully for any length of time. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. : <

I'm ok with the fish I've got. I'm thinking that this tank is going to become a single species seahorse tank in about a year or year and a half. I'll move my current fishes to a big tank in my art studio at that time. My art studio is a basement with no carpeting but a lot of light so it is a better choice for a tank. This little tank is in my family room and is really a decorator item. It's tempting to look at the fishes in the LFS but I'de rather spend my time and money on the corals! Thanks, RyanG.

Catherine, I'm right there with ya. I got brown junk all over my tank. I have to keep blowing it off my corals too. They're all irritated and not opening.

If you're doing seahorses, read up on feeding them. Supposedly it's involved, live brine shrimp, regular feeding, plus they're finicky eaters. Does anyone here have seahorses that could provide some husbandry input?

I want my tank to be at least a year old before I even think about switching over to seahorses. I'll definately be reading up on them before I take the plunge. Thanks!

make shure you get tank rasied seahorses they are usually trained to eat frozen food. but they need to be fed a couple times a day. i had 2 kellog sea horses the always hooked to the overflows and hang out there but one day they got sucked through the fins of the overflow

I kept one in my 30gal with Jefferson Davis for about 6 months.But there was plenty of rock in there and a lot of live pods.So the horse was happy.
I finally traded it for a acro frag when I decided to convert the 30 into a sump.

Back