will clam survive black out?

bjohanson1234

I am trying to get the remnants of the HA that I am getting under control out of the tank. Since I have a clam now, I was wondering if it would survive a week long black out like corals would? Wanted to ask before I tried it. It is a blue maxima.

Cut your lighting down to about 4 hours a day and work your way back up. Killing the lights and having the algae die just puts all that crap right back into the water. Try cutting down a lot on the food you are putting in and always rinse it first. I use a reusable coffee filter to rinse my food first.

ive done the black out before, change water every couple days to remove the nutrients that are released.

I only feed about 1/4 cube of food every week, fish are nice and plump. Dont think I can really cut back more on the food.

Also have a nice big ball of cheato that has doubled since I got it from biff. Like I said just want to get the rest of it out.

Hey Bj, if it comes down to it, I'll hold your clam while you do your blackout.

that just sounds so bad on so many levels:shock::mrgreen:

Thanks. I was reading in another thread about covering rocks with some black plastic one at a time. Was also going to maybe look into just putting them in a bucket of old saltwater in the dark closet for a week. You know, killing it one rock at a time

that just sounds so bad on so many levels:shock::mrgreen:
Lmao...you a nut. :)

Thanks. I was reading in another thread about covering rocks with some black plastic one at a time. Was also going to maybe look into just putting them in a bucket of old saltwater in the dark closet for a week. You know, killing it one rock at a time
Ok, that's cool, that just may work.

A week in the dark wont hurt your clam.Might piss it off for a couple of days,but its not gonna hurt it.
Think about storm systems out over the natural reefs.Sometimes they'll linger for a week or even longer,cutting the light by as mush as 90%.

Back