wontonflip's 125g build

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Well, no doubt this project will take a year before I even begin putting water in it, but I figured I'd start loading up pictures. Starting off with the used 125g AGA I picked up at my LFS. It's got 2 predrilled overflows at the ends. Dimensions are 72"L x 18"w x 20" h and heavy as all H3LL! Let's just hope it's got no leaks, otherwise this thread will be for not!

We plan to diy the cabinet, like we did for the 45g. And because it's a large tank, we want more views on it, so we're going to put one of the shorter sides of the tank against the wall with the built-in overflows facing the back area of the room so it's not as visible. The sump and ATO will be in the utility room, which shares a wall with the one we will put the sump in. The fuge will be on top of the tank under the canopy.

We will also strip the carpeting under the tank area and put down linoleum, or even raise the stand a bit so we can do a drain in case of flooding. We may even go even further and build the canopy into the wall and make it look like the tank's built into the house :) I figure I'm spending this much time and money on it, might as well go all out!!! It will most likely be FOWLR, but if we go full reef, it's as easy as putting vents and a fan into the canopy. Such an undertaking!

SCHWEEETTTT
Welcome to the big tank club:D
Take your time getting the equipment and setting it up,and above all,have fun with it.

Haven't logged in in a while :) I've been busy ripping out the carpet and putting down linoleum for the tank!

After we ripped out the carpet from this area, we laid down some tiles to make sure we had enough...then we put down the primer...,BOY did it stink!!! ***

*** disclaimer: By "I" and "we" I mean my husband...hehehe...although I did brush the primer.

DSC00604.jpg

My husband drilling holes into the concrete for the screws to hold in the transition stripping. He went through a couple of drill bits.
DSC00610.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

The final results :)
DSC00608.jpg

DSC00612.jpg

ALL THIS FOR A TANK???? Damn skippy!!! Next step is the tank stand! The tank will go in front, lengthwise, so behind it will be just a "quiet" sitdown area where I can sit and stare. All the equipment will be in the next room, which is the utility room anyway....maybe I'll put a small bed there...hmmmm.... :bounce: Not bad though.....it all cost around $100 total (the most expensive part, of course, being the linoleum, but it looks great!)

Give it a few posts, Biff will have some smart ass comment to say about something and it will turn into a whole room makeover...forgive dont forget and never let them forget either! lol

Thats some good looking flooring.
While you got him on the honey-do list,have him install GFCI outlets for all your equipment.

What, I don't see giant flower wallpaper and boomerang countertops in that picture!!!

Yeah, those are off to the side...oops!

hehehe. No floral stuff in my house. I'm more towards asian/minimalist-if-you-ignore-all-the-toys design in my house...come to think of it, 80% of my furniture is Ikea, 10% Scan, and the rest is....damn...Ikea, actually...hehehehe.

I was tempted to just put linoleum in my main floor when I rip out that carpet cuz it was so easy to install!! We're actually going to put Pergo on the main floor, continuing into the kitchen. But first....fishtank!

That whole area is going to have just the tank, and large pillows so I can sit and read in there, instead of my bathtub (which is my only sanctuary w/o kids bothering me :)

Ok....so far so good....got the hubby a mitre saw (with a laser...oooooooo! heheh....i wanted the dewalt, but he wanted the ryobi w/ a laser built in). We're using all 2x4's and screws instead of nails. The last stand we built for the 45g we used 4 4x4's for the corners. It was overkill on hindsite. But this one should be just as sturdy. I know what I'll be doing mother's day....watching him build :)

DSC00627Small.jpg

DSC00626Small.jpg

DSC00629Small.jpg

Dewalt stuff used to be really good stuff until they had to cheapen it because they started selling it in Home Depots.

hey dewalt still makes great tools they just also started making junk tools to compete with the other junk that home depot sells. If you are willing to spend the cash for their pro grade, dewalt is still one of the better ones out there.

Last edited:
I got him the Dewalt drill for father's day last year because when he was reparing our ceiling in the basement, he borrowed my brother's Dewalt and was practically salivating over it (he had a Ryobi prior to that). So since Father's day was a few days away, I surprised him (made him do a hunt for it hehehe).

My brother (a typical tool fanatic) advised getting the Ryobi. He says if we were to get the more expensive mitre, we would do best with Dewalt or Milwaukee. But if we're going lower priced, he says for the most part, Ryobi and Dewalt would be the same quality. So I'm glad that not only did he get his laser feature that he wanted, but we saved almost $50 in price difference. He loves that it's making the work go faster than if he used his circular saw.

My husband's in heaven right now building this bad boy :) He's a computer geek at heart, but loves to build stuff. The 2x4's he got actually measured out to be 2x3/4 so it threw off some of his pre-planned measurement in the blueprints he drew up on his computer. I've got tons of picture of it getting built. I'll be posting it once it's all completed.

Your brothers advice is spot on! Btw lumber is always 1/2" off to allow for the 1/2" drywall that is going to be attached when you finish (assuming you were building a house). It makes it easier because your finish measurements are even but it makes building projects like yours a pain because you have to deal with fractions :D

Btw lumber is always 1/2" off to allow for the 1/2" drywall that is going to be attached when you finish (assuming you were building a house). It makes it easier because your finish measurements are even but it makes building projects like yours a pain because you have to deal with fractions :D

OMG that makes perfect sense! I wish we'd known that when we drew up the plans :) Live and learn. We're actually going to drywall the front so the tank will look like an extension of the wall it's attached to.

Back