WTF Emerald crab!

Okay my first living thing in my tank was my emerald crab.....just bought a new turbo snail. I'm looking at the crab clean the outside of the new turbo and then BAM he takes a huge chunk out of the snail! WTF! Is he mad because hes new or what. He hasnt done this before to my knowledge.

Sorry to tell you but it happens with them, my crabs got banished to the sump becuase my tank was turning into a snail graveyard

I love the emotion shown in your post :P did not see that coming haha.

stupid crabs though :frustrat:

Emerald crabs usually are not predatorial on snails. Is your emerald crab really really big? That's not common behavior at all.

Emerald crabs usually are not predatorial on snails. Is your emerald crab really really big? That's not common behavior at all.

Thank you.......I got three and all I ever see them do is hang out in the rocks and pick at them. They are a very interesting creature to watch at work.:Cheers:

Mine's head is about 1-1.5" across (he's bigger than my smaller clown). I caught him one night holding a snail shell and sticking his claw in it and pulling snail guts out.

From LA:"Many aquarists supplement the Emerald Crab's diet with dried seaweed and chopped meaty foods, such as shrimp, as well as a quality pellet fish food. Otherwise, this opportunistic feeder may turn to corals, invertebrates, or small fish for a food source"

Mine's head is about 1-1.5" across (he's bigger than my smaller clown). I caught him one night holding a snail shell and sticking his claw in it and pulling snail guts out.

That just reinforces that size matters Mine might be all of .75" 1.50" is a big crab anything that big should have his own seat at the dinner table.:^:

I totally agree but, it only took about 2 months for mine to get that big. He was a tiny little guy before that

I totally agree but, it only took about 2 months for mine to get that big. He was a tiny little guy before that

Wow I thought my water was off I need some of yours mine have been the tank for 6 months and have hardly grown. Do you live near a reactor site? :mrgreen:

Haha no, he was about the size of a nickel when i got the tank 6 months ago but, has molted almost everytime that I've done a water change

Back