Yellow Tang....Bully?

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
so since my lawnmower blenny decided to commit suicide i thought i should get a new fish
i always like the yellow tangs, and had one before that died from internal parsites

i decided to get a medium sized one because my 1 large Alardi clown can be a bit of a bully

well it turns out the Tang seems to be bullying everyone in the tank, now maybe they are all just bucking for position

any thoughts or insight???

same thing happened to me when i had my medium yellow tang (i eventually traded it for a baby tang). The tang was the last fish i put in the tank and it still bullied all my fish, except the clowns who would defend their territory aggressively.

But the cardinals and coral beauty would always get bullied by the tang. No real solution, at least not in my tank since its an 80. Even after removing the tang for 3 weeks, he still bullied the CB on the first day. In a tank your size, you might have a more chances of them getting along. Try removing it for weeks and rearranging the rocks, maybe it'll work.

Tangs can be pretty aggressive,even toward other fish.
But think of how tangs live in the wild.They'll do their best to run other fish away from patches of turf algae.So why wouldnt they try to do the same thing in our tanks?

well theres dfinantly plenty of room in my tank for him to have his own territory, i will give it a few days and see how it goes

i have a school of 5 firefish gobies , im concerned about them taking a suicide leap out of the tank

Good luck. Zebrasoma's are one of the most territorial out of all of the tangs. If he does adjust you will probably not be able to add any more fish.

How much live rock do you have in there?

FYI your entire tank will be his territory in the ocean they will take over large area's not just 6 feet.

im probably pushing 250-300 lbs of LR, lots of cave area as well as open swimming area

i understand that my tank isnt the ocean, but ive also seen tanks my size with several yellow tangs in them, as well as other fish.The last yellow tang i had was not a bully at all

Just another contradiction in research

most things ive read have said to add a yellow tang last because they are timid, so youve done your research, as opposed to buying on a whim and it turns out the research isnt really correct.

I am only giving you info based on my experience. I have been keeping saltwater for over 17 years. I have 6 zebrasoma's in my 850, I added them all at the same time. I get the occasional argument.

In my 180 I have 2 scopas tangs with no issues.

It just falls back to every fish is different just like dogs, people etc. we all have our own personality. lol Its just that in general these fish are more aggresive. Having lots of live rock like you do should help him to settle in better, you could also turn out your lights for a day or so let him settle in calmly, he's just scared.

again Good luck :)

I was just noticing that. I was looking for a website for Zoo that sold captive breed... I thought I had seen it on Live Aquaria, but I am mistaken. Hey it was good advice in theory :D

well i just got home and he seems to have calmed down a bit
at least hes not chasing everybody in the tank around
i think i will give it a few days and see how it goes
i think he will be fine
in hindsight i probably should have gotten a smaller one, knowing what i know now

he was my last fish anyway, dont plan on adding anymore

winyfrog im not saying your wrong, im just getting frustrated lately since im getting into a bigger tank, and the oporotunity for bigger and more advanced things

i really try to do the research before purchasing but it is constantly contradicting itself

Last edited:
Back