10g mantis set up

Well a local reefer told me he had a mantis. I explined to him how to get it out of his DT. 2 months later (today) i get a text saying he got him out of the rock. I went to his house and instintly saw the cutest thing in the world! Before i could ask him to keep it in his sump he had itin a bucket and said here u go.....I just took an unpaid vacation so the pocket book is tight. I quickly started thinking of how the hell ima house him. Do i throw him in my reef and hope or the best....not such a good idea....cant put him with the G.T thats for sure....so i borrowed some cash and put this lil 10g tank together. I used existing water from both my tanks to fill it. Took a few pieces of LR from my DT and a few rubble pieces from the mantis tank and going to see what happens....I put a few rubble pieces in the bucket for him too and he quickly darted for them to hide.Will he be ok in the bucket overnight? I assume because ppl ship these all the time he should be ok but figured id ask. I just hope everything works out. I'd say he's aboutan inch and a half.:^:

87ea0609.jpg

f8a4bf46.jpg

I bet that little guy can still hit ya pretty hard. I'd be scared to try it.
Another mantis thread is cool stuff! What are ya gonna name him, Dana?

I bet that little guy can still hit ya pretty hard. I'd be scared to try it.
Another mantis thread is cool stuff! What are ya gonna name him, Dana?

I'm open for suggestions. I was going to try and find out if it's a boy or girl first but a unisex name could work too

I didn't know you could sex mantis shrimp. I learned something today! :D
How about Saffron. Off the wall I know, but it's the color...

The ocean is odd though, lol. how about scarlett if its a female

Maybe in a month we can vote on a name ;)

I said it before.... and I'll say it again.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

hehe thanks! :)

I want one!!!!!! Lol that is soooooo cool!

Cant even explain how rare it is to find one this small. Ive never read or seen any this small.

what do mantis shrimp do?
I mean i alwas was told they were pests
what can they bring to an aquarium???

What do they do? They do alot of things......some people consider them pests only because when they order live rock through an online store and they put the rocks in their tank with a new CUC. Usually the mantis will destory the CUC. Hense a pest in a reef tank.

Many people like myself like to keep them because they are very intelligent and fun to watch.:Cheers:

I actually looked into getting one and my lfs is selling a black and yellow mantis for 70 bucks! I'm so tempted lol

I hate giving links to other forums but if your serious about keeping a mantis,I HIGHLY suggest you do some HEAVY reading. The information just isnt here on this forum..... for them. Id suggest becoming a Reef Central member or troll their mantis threads. Idk what you know so take it with a grain of salt. There are rules for keeping them. You just cant throw a halide light on these guys and grow corals....most mantis tanks arent like my G.Ts'. G.T's can handle a lil stronger light because they live in Acro colonies. Most mantis's are found in deeper water where there isnt much light. next time you go to your LFS Droski take some pictures. Im always interested in what LFS's have around the states. That goes for anyone....if your LFS has a mantis take some celly pix and post them here.:Cheers:

I hate giving links to other forums but if your serious about keeping a mantis,I HIGHLY suggest you do some HEAVY reading. The information just isnt here on this forum..... for them. Id suggest becoming a Reef Central member or troll their mantis threads. Idk what you know so take it with a grain of salt. There are rules for keeping them. You just cant throw a halide light on these guys and grow corals....most mantis tanks arent like my G.Ts'. G.T's can handle a lil stronger light because they live in Acro colonies. Most mantis's are found in deeper water where there isnt much light. next time you go to your LFS Droski take some pictures. Im always interested in what LFS's have around the states. That goes for anyone....if your LFS has a mantis take some celly pix and post them here.:Cheers:

will do!

Back