2009 Nano Build Contest!

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
Welcome to the Nano Build Contest!

The contest officially begins September 1st, 2009 and ends July 1st , 2010.

All participants must be entered by September 31st, 2009 to qualify.

At the end of the contest, all eligible systems will be judged by either a yet to be determined panel of illustrious judges, or perhaps by the community. Besides general bragging rights, prizes will be awarded to the top tanks!!!

Please note that this contest will require you to have a digital camera, or access to a digital camera at least once per month. You will not be able to participate without one.

THE RULES!

THE TANK
A 10 gallon glass aquarium or equivalent tank. The dimensions of a standard 10 gallon tank are 20"Lx10"Wx12"H. The tanks themselves are common and cheap and can be found at any Petco, Petsmart, or large LFS (even Walmart) for approximately $10-$15.

THE LIGHTING
There is no limit (besides your budget) to the lighting. You can do a simple low-light Fish Only tank with a couple softies, or go insane and put a 1000W halide over it if you want. This contest is about the tank and how it looks, and not how much money you spent. Either a retro-fit kits or complete hood may be used. Nighttime use of moon lights is allowed, but not required.

POWERHEADS AND HANG ON BACK FILTERS AND PUMPS
Participants in the contest will be allowed to use whatever water movement devices that they wish.

AUTO TOP-OFF
Use of an auto top-off system is allowed, but not required.

HOODS AND STANDS
Any hood and stand may be used. Entrants will not be judged by their hood and stand.

OTHER RULES INFORMATION
(Answers to common questions)

Can thermometers be used?
Yes, any thermometer may be used.

Can I test my water using test kits (ph, alk, cal, etc) such as Salifert brand?
Yes, all typical marine aquarium test kids may be used for your tank entry.

Can I stock my stock contest entry tank with frags or corals from my display tank?
Yes, you are welcome to use frags from your other display tank. There will be a cutoff when contestants are not allowed to add any more corals to their tanks. This will force contestants to show they are in fact able to maintain and show growth under stock conditions, even if their corals came from a display tank 5 feet away.

Can I dose my tank with nutrients, etc?
You are welcome to dose your tank as you see fit.

HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST
To officially enter this contest you will need to take a photo with something (specified the day the contest begins ex: USA Today) inside your unfilled tank setup. You will post this information in your own entry thread in this forum.

THE SUMP/REFUGIUM SPACE
External sumps or refugiums are entirely optional. However, if you choose to use one, its volume must not exceed 10 gallons. You are welcome to use a custom built system or standard tank. You may be asked to take photos of your sump with measuring devices and something else in the picture to prove it is a current photo. The entire system volume (display tank + sump, external filters, etc.) must not exceed 20 gallons.

NOTE: Volume refers to actual tank/sump volume, not necessarily total water used

ENTRY THREAD INFORMATION

Your entry thread is where all the information, photos, and updates for your nano reef will be posted. When you are ready to enter the contest, please create a new topic in the appropriate area of this contest forum. The topic title should be: “[Contest] Your Username. Your first post must contain your required entry photographs!

Updates to the progress of your nano reef must be posted at a minimum of once per month, and include at least 3 photos. Entries with missing months of updates will be disqualified for final voting. At the end of the contest, all entrants will be asked to make a final post summarizing the progress their nano reef has made.

Remember to keep your entries as clear and organized as possible.

A WORD ABOUT TANK CRASHES!
If your tank crashes (for any reason) you will not be able to restart after contest entry has closed (Sept 31, 2009).

Reason: If your tank crashes, you would have to set it up again which would be basically be entering a new system after contest entry has ended. The point of this contest is to keep a healthy reef the first time around, not to start and then restart over and over if you continually hose your system.

IMPORTANT DATES
September 1 , 2009 - Contest officially begins
September 31st, 2009 - Last day to enter a new tank
February 1st, 2010 - Last day to add new corals
July 1st, 2010 - Last day of contest

Contest Prizes

First prize will be a 24 gallon nano tank! There will also be a second and third place prize that will be announced soon.

All information subject to change, but we'll try not to.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW i just wanted to add that I know it early to announce something that is happening in September, but I want as many people to be able to do this contest as possible. Not only is the economy not so great right now but I know lots of you have big plans for the summer. This should give everyone plenty of time to think and save and allow for a wonderful turnout. So lets all start planning our mini buildout!

- Alexander

Sweet! The community director strikes again! Very happy to see that this project has been approved by the proper powers that be and is going to come to fruition!

Sorry folks but yall are going down!

first night and there will be 4 tanks so far. not a bad start considering its only been a few hours and we have till september!

Please feel free to post any additional questions about the contest in here if anyone has any. I think I have you all pretty much covered so far but am happy to answer any further questions :)

That dude from Idaho is a thankin man:D

Cant make no promises,but we'll see what I can do according to work.:D

But I'm also back to 70+ hours on my PAYING job:D

But now I'm wandering just how 432 watts of T-5 would look over a 10 gallon.:idea:

so let me make sure I have this right. I can sump the tank, but can't have a sump larger than 10g. other than that, rules are pretty wide open.

welp, time to work on a DIY calcium reactor for a 10g SPS.... I have a spare 250W MH... might be overkill?

so let me make sure I have this right. I can sump the tank, but can't have a sump larger than 10g. other than that, rules are pretty wide open.

This is entirely correct. with lighting and everything else skies the limit. whatever you please. just the total tank volume can not exceed 20g. this does not mean total water used. but the size of your filtration. So if you had a 10g sump with a 1gal renaxp2 filter hooked up too this would make it 21gal. not 20 gal.

Back