23 days of hypo....

OhNoNemo

i love triggers
Well,today marked day 23.No signs of the ich and all fish are well:D.I was thinking of starting to bring it back up this week.Will keep you all posted on how that goes:x: I've read most people would lose fish in the raising of salinity ,rather than the dropping.I'm going to do it over the course of 7 days.

I lowered it to 1.007 by accident.The fish seemed fine and actually kinda happy.So,I kept it there for five days,then got it to 1.008 for 5 more days,then finished 13 days at 1.009.....After i lowered it too far(or so i thought)I did some web searching and came across people who will go to 1.005,so i felt better.I also read some say at level 1.012 is good enough,but the majority said 1.009 is the magic number.There is alot of crazy stuff out there,i also saw where some would do FW dips for 24-36 hours:shock:....I fell confident i kicked the ich,so ,a week to raise,then another week to watch,then back home:D...To some it may be over the top and unecessary to do all this,but it just makes me feel better.

As long as it does the job and you feel safier,then it dont matter what anybody else thinks.
Thats the beauty of this hobby.No single method of anything is going to work for everybody.So it forces us to learn as we go.

+1 yote.
You don't have any corals in there do you? Just curious if they can take the hypo? I don't think they can.

When you're done with this hypo and all ick has been completely killed, how do you plan to keep it out of your system? i.e. when you introduce a new fish, etc.

My DT is a 125.All fish were moved to a 75 hospital for hypo.DT is being left empty to starve the ich(as we all know it can not host inverts,which DT still has).....Any new additions will be QTed and either hypoed or coppered,regardless of appearance.Inverts too,will be QTed for at least 4 weeks.Just a small price to pay IMO.Remember QTing is not just ich prevention,it is a process to monitor for all sorts of diseases that i certaintly do not want in my DT.

I think it would be a great feeling to know that all diseases and parasites have been completely eliminated from your tank. I wish I could have done that with my system in the beginning.

I honestly think its possible.I do think i lost my tang due to the fact i did not supplement vit. C and galic for his immune system,but i never felt the need.I knew i had no issues in my DT(3 + years)...Then, we all know what happen by now(i think)....So its back to square one in a way...but i do feel better knowing i kicked ich's little butt!:D,and will continue to do so.

There are all kinds of pros to QTing.And a lot of the pros will QT EVERYTHING.Rocks,fish,corals,inverts,EVERYTHING.And the only real con to a QT tank,is the space they can take up.

Well,today marked day 23.No signs of the ich and all fish are well:D.I was thinking of starting to bring it back up this week.Will keep you all posted on how that goes:x: I've read most people would lose fish in the raising of salinity ,rather than the dropping.I'm going to do it over the course of 7 days.

Glad to hear that you successfully kicked ich's butt! :bounce:
Quick question for you, how exactly were you treating your fish? With what? just lowering the salinity??

I just had my 1st ich outbreak in my DT and am running around like a chicken without a head. I dont have a QT tank established yet. I'm going to pick one up this afternoon and hopefully start that up....but in the meantime can you give me some basic tips/tricks on what i should do to help my sailfin tang get better?

Currently i have live rock & sand, urchin, cleaner shrimp, hermits, snails in my DT.

I'm in Day 10 of my Hypo treatment. What did you do to help keep you pH buffered? If anything.

I'm finding this to be the hardest part of this treatment. I am currently just trying to keep it stable rather than hit the 8.0-8.2 range which ends up causing huge pH swings overnight.

I'm in Day 10 of my Hypo treatment. What did you do to help keep you pH buffered? If anything.

I'm finding this to be the hardest part of this treatment. I am currently just trying to keep it stable rather than hit the 8.0-8.2 range which ends up causing huge pH swings overnight.

OhNoNemo hasn't been around on this site for quite some time. You'd have better luck starting a new thread. :)

Back