57g rimless aka "the mistress"

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
well, time to start the new build. its a oceanic Illuminati 57g rimless. i picked her up for only $100 and a drive to WWC. it came with the overflow kit and a starboard bottom which is perfect to go bb.
here she is the day i brought her home.

equipment list
tank: above
stand: going to be custom 4'x20'x40'
controller:apex with 8 and 4 energy bar ph and temp probe
lights: tek 6 bulb fixture with ati bulbs (upgraging to 160w razor 16k or pair radion gen 2)
flow: mp40 and maybe a k1400 (upgrade mp10 if needed)
sump:custom 40g breeder
skimmer: reef octopus xp1000sss
return pump:rio2500 (have laying around)
top off: jbj ato with aqua lifter pump
reactor:tlf 150 with mj 900 running gfo have another one for carbon if needed.

skimmer

dry rock from dick. awesome stuff anyone need any make the trip down there and pick some up. def worth the trip. i'll def go back when the time comes for upgrade.

got bored

tank as of last night

well, here are some pics of the stand building progression. heres a step by step guide with pics for those who want to build there own.

first thing i always do is cut the first inch or so off the board. this way you're going to know it'll be even.

next make my marking using a tap measure

then i grab a square and make a line going all the way across the board.

next line up the blade with my marking. this saw doesn't have the laser going down showing where the blade will be cutting the line

next i drill some pilot hole and then countersink the holes to have the screw flush with the board. then to cover the holes up i'll grab some saw dust and wood glue or paste and fill the hole making the screw disappear.

next line the boards in the corner to get the height i added to more screw in each one.

this is 42" glad i didnt go with the 50" i was planning on going.

here the 30b i was going to us as a frag tank. as dimension as the 40b just a lil higher. see how it'll fit in the bottom.

all cuts are done for now. just need to screw everything up and place the plywood on the bottom and start the detail parts.

hopefully after everything grows out good enough i'll get a 180g or bigger and plumb everything thru the wall out to the garage. we'll have to see.

Not sure if you have done this or not but you may want (just some advice) add 2 cross supports on the top. If you already have, then you should be golden but if you haven't, your top is at risk of bowing and collapsing on itself. Reason being, the tank is smaller than the stand in dimensions therefore the weight of the tank itself will be centered and not distributed amongst the frame itself. The 2x4's are stout enough to support the weight but the plywood is not so it needs to be reinforced if not already. Just my 2 cents; a great build in the future I see

Vary cool build bro. I'm digging the home brew stand.
thanks. all i need to do now is skin it, paint the inside with some kilz, grab some shower liner and lay that down, make the doors, trim everything and stain it. :frustrat: thats to much stuff. lol
Sweet. Any stocking plans yet?
not quite yet. i know it'll be sps domination and some nice zoas. fish list probably a pair of snowflakes or black ice. pair of bj cardinals, trio of lytretail or bartlett. not sure on those. and some king of tang (no police) tomini or white tail bristletooth. of course still thinking everything thru.
Well like any mistress you have to take the stockings of lol
Mistresses are what stockings are for.
haha. kurt i think erin has ya beat here.

heres the type of clown i'll be looking for when the tank is done cycling. i love how there is a blue outline around the middle white bar.
clown_zpsed63b870.jpg

Back