AIO Tanks

Aquatic

Reefing newb
Hey everyone!

I am here to talk to you about all in one setups for the marine enthusiast.

Why did I create this article?

I created this article because there's a vast majority of people who may not even realize that complete reef setup aquariums exist out on the market. Not just that but I would like to go a little more in depth about these setups that are currently available to us. Buying a complete setup is a great way to avoid the hassle of buying all the equipment yourself and avoiding some potential frustration.

Not everyone has the same schedule. Some people have kids to take care of, a busy work schedule, or just busy in general. A complete setup will take away much of the work needed to get everything running and is great for just about anyone. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced enthusiast, i'm sure that almost anybody will enjoy having one.

What is available to us?

In this section, I shall talk to you about complete setups that are currently available to us on the market today. There's a few different brands out there. But before we jump ahead to the interesting part, I would like to say to make sure to do your own personal research before buying one so you can make sure it's the setup you want! Take into account your own personal finances and ask yourself if you have enough money to take care of an aquarium and whether or not you want to commit yourself to the best hobby that's out there!

With that, I would like to discuss the different brands of complete setups that are on the market right now. As far as I know, I am familiar with Red Sea Max, JBJ USA, and Oceanic. Most people already know what these brands are but i'm sure there's other people who don't. For the ones who don't, feel free to use this article as a reference to know what's in store for you!

Red Sea Max

The Red Sea Max complete setups are a very interesting product indeed. They come in 3 models which are the MAX 130, MAX 130D, and MAX 250. Both the MAX 130 and MAX 130D are both the same size and hold a total of 34 gallons in the system. The MAX 250 is their biggest model and can hold a total of 66 gallons. The RSM comes complete with it's own internal filtration system, a complete lighting system, an adjustable hood for easy access to the aquariums, and even its own power system which makes the control of your system a walk in the park.

What's the difference between the MAX 130 and the MAX 130D? Quite simple actually, the MAX 130D is just an enhanced version of the MAX 130. It includes better lighting, a better performing skimmer and more!

Lighting: The RSM 130 includes 2 x 55 watt T5 Power Compacts, 10k Actinic lighting, and blue LED's

The RSM 130D includes lighting that improves upon the lighting of the 130. The RSM 130D includes
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2x 55w 50/50 10,000k & Actinic T5 Power compact lamps and 4x Blue LED Moonlights.

The RSM 250 includes
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]234W T5 linear, [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]117W 10,000K/117W Actinic, and 8 LED moonlights.

For someone who has a budget in mind, I suggest going for the MAX 130 or the MAX 130D. When I say budget, I don't mean to say that these aquariums are super cheap because they're not. But when I do say budget, I do mean that a lower water volume means less water, rock, sand, fish, coral, etc to put into the tank which will also mean less money spent on those variables. All 3 models are complete setups and they all look great!

red-sea-max.jpg
max2501.jpg

For more information, go to Red Sea Homepage

JBJ-USA

JBJ-USA is another neat brand to look at when shopping for a complete setup. They make anything from a small betta tank to as big as a 28 gallon nanocube! In this section, I will mainly talk about their 28 gallon cubes so feel free to check them out to find information on their smaller setups.

As with the Red Sea Max setups, JBJ-USA brings their own personal style to their own setups. When it comes to their 28 gallon Nano Cubes, they have the 28 gallon cf Quad, 28 gallon HQI, 28 gallon LED, and their 28 gallon Open Top tanks.

JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cubes include a pretty sweet integrated cooling system, a 3 stage filter system, a beautiful stand and more!

Lighting for the models are different depending on which one you choose.

For the 28 gallon cf Quad, the lighting includes:
[/FONT]
105 watts of high intensity daytime light ouput.
10K/7100K Combo lamp
4 Nite Vu LEDs

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
For the 28 gallon HQI, the lighting includes:

[/FONT]150 watt HQI – 14K lamp (Shimmer effect anyone?!!)
4 Nite Vu LEDs
German Parabolic Reflector.

For the 28 gallon LED, the lighting includes:

Daylight – 25 x 3 Watt – 14K
Dawn/Dusk – 4 x 3 Watt – Actinic/466nm
Moon – 2 x 1 Watt – Nite-Vu/456nm

One of the nice things about the LED is that LED lighting requires less energy which will also result in a lower electricity cost. This is a great purchace to those tho are really serious about saving an extra buck. Given by the look of the tank/stand combo, the JBJ USA 28 gallon Nano Cubes look stylish and modern. On top of which, they also look a bit more compact than the Red Sea Max systems so that's a plus for people who have relatively small spaces to work with.

Given the idea of the JBJ AIO setups are similar to the Red Sea Max AIO setups, JBJ is another brand to consider when shopping around for AIO tanks. Whether you want high intensity metal halide lighting, energy efficient LED lighting, or a value packed all in one, JBJ looks like another solid setup to have!

nano-cube-hqi.jpg
28gHQITankStandLo.jpg

For more information, go to JBJ-USA Aquarium Products

Oceanic Biocube

The oceanic biocube looks very similar to the JBJ AIO aquariums. This brand is also another avenue one can look in when deciding upon which brand to go with when selecting your tank. I found more detailed information on Foster And Smith's Aquatics than I did the actual Oceanic site itself about their tank. From the looks of it, it has a 2 stage filtration system, 2 integrated cooling fans, compact fluorescent
lighting, and more.

The Oceanic Biocube comes in 2 sizes. Choose from a 14 gallon or a 29 gallon setup. The 14 gallon has a 48 watt canopy and the 29 gallon has a 72 watt canopy

Lighting for the Oceanic Biocube 14 gallon includes:

1 24 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin
1 24 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin
2 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

Lighting for the Oceanic Biocube 29 gallon includes:

1 36 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin
1 36 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin
3 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

Given that the Oceanic Biocube is an AIO, it does not include a protein skimmer. However, it does give you the option of buying a protein skimmer seperately. Looking at the watts this system puts out, I don't think it's enough lighting at all for most corals. It might do fine for low light coral but feel free to chime in if you have your own opinions.

I purposely made the Oceanic Biocube section a bit shorter in terms of information because it doesn't seem like it's a worthwhile product. As stated above, feel free to tell me otherwise if you have your own opinions!

biocube.jpg
cube.jpg

For more information, go to Oceanic Systems
As well as Nano Aquarium Systems & Aquarium Kits: Oceanic BioCube Aquarium System

Closing Statement

I already know I haven't covered every single detail about all the tanks I listed but my aim was to give people a taste of what to expect with these brands of AIO tanks. I hope that this article is worthwhile to those who are interested in complete setups. If you find anything wrong or wish to add anything or have me add anything, feel free to let me know and I can edit my article to make it a bit more refined.

I thank everybody who took the time to read my article and I thank the people who made it possible to create user articles on this site. I hope you have a good time reading this and let me know how it was!

Aquatic

I didnt read though this, i will dont worry, but can you make the pictures a little smaller? Its really hard to read this when i have to scroll from side to side . . .

Yeah, sure thing. I'll work on it tomorrow though. Feeling lazy right now, haha. I don't even know if it will let me edit the post to re-size pics =( I didn't see the edit button on my original post.

Last edited:
Ya, i think this is a great idea as well, i just have a really hard time reading the side to side thingie . . .

But from glancing at i love how you put all the specs in there so people can strait up compare them.

Also to resize pics, i resize the actual photo. So i use photobucket, and on photobucket when you put your mouse over the pic a little menu pops up at the top and one of those options is the resize. I usually go with the third option down.

I think it depends on the size of your computer. With my laptop screen, I don't have to scroll side to side, but maybe mine is wider than yours?

Back