algae problem help needed

joshuashih1

Seahorse Owner
hi I have TONS of algae in my tank its growing all around my acrylic and live rocks I have hare algae that is on the rocks, and some other type o algae growing on the acrylic and I hate all this algae, also my tanks live sand is really brown, and now my tank is green/brown, help all test are good amonia is 0 nitrite 0 natrte 0 and now what? I have a few nassas snails and a scarlet cleaner shrimp otherwise I don't have anything that would eat alge

You started these other threads about it:

https://www.livingreefs.com/control-alge-my-tank-t42013.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/am-feeding-my-fish-ok-t42034.html

We've given you some good advice, you just don't want to take it.

You have too many fish for your tank -- and some of them are too big for your tank, and you added them too quickly, too soon. They are producing a lot of waste. That is causing the algae outbreaks. Instead of removing some of the fish like you were advised to do already, you added more and said, "Why does it matter?" when someone asked why you added more against everyone's advice.

I don't really know what more I can say to help.

maybe you should gte more snails, get some blue leg crabs and maybe a lawn mower blenny fish because he eats algae. and you could be feeding your fish too much food so try to cut down on that and see if your problem gets fixed.

maybe you should gte more snails, get some blue leg crabs and maybe a lawn mower blenny fish because he eats algae. and you could be feeding your fish too much food so try to cut down on that and see if your problem gets fixed.

Adding yet another fish when the root of the problem is he already has too many fish isn't going to help... That's why he added the last fish (a coral beauty) and judging from this thread, it didn't eat the algae like he thought it would (which is what people said would expected and warned him about).

Last edited:
I know that a mower blenny eats algae because I have one myself in a 225gal tank and he cleans a lot of it all by himself so maybe you should swap fish and get the mower blenny.

I know that a mower blenny eats algae because I have one myself in a 225gal tank and he cleans a lot of it all by himself so maybe you should swap fish and get the mower blenny.

That does nothing to get to the root of the problem -- the source of the algae. Unless you fix the source, you will always have algae problems.

hi I have TONS of algae in my tank its growing all around my acrylic and live rocks I have hare algae that is on the rocks, and some other type o algae growing on the acrylic and I hate all this algae, also my tanks live sand is really brown, and now my tank is green/brown, help all test are good amonia is 0 nitrite 0 natrte 0 and now what? I have a few nassas snails and a scarlet cleaner shrimp otherwise I don't have anything that would eat alge

You are reading 0 on your tests because the algae is using it faster than it is being produced. I have a 30 gallon tank with only one turbo snail that grazes on algae. I have very little algae other than the film that grow on the tank walls. I believe it is because I only have two clown fish and only feed them once a week or so. Any time I try to add another fish, my water quality gets all screwed up and I get algae problems and the tank is harder to maintain. This is in a tank that has been set up for at least 5 years. Very stable otherwise. So going and saying that having too many fish in your tank isn't the cause of algae problems is not the way to go.

Try to look at your tank objectively and realize that the more fish you have, the more you need to feed them, the more they poop. The more algae you will have. Adding things that eat algae does not solve the problem. It just masks it.

Think of it like you having a cold. You take some cold medicine but it just really helps the symptoms so you don't feel like you have a cold. You still have the cold. Same thing with the algae. Getting something to get rid of the algae just makes it look like you have a healthy tank. You still have problems with your water.

PLEASE do not advise him to add another fish. You advised this before you even knew what he had and for how long? We all just advised him not to add a flame angel he thought would eat algae since he already had 4 fish in a small tank. He obviously has added it since he started another thread about what to feed it.
An algae problem is caused by something, Josh, we are trying to help you determine that something, whether it is lighting schedule, bulb quality, water quality, feeding regime, stocking, a need for a CUC etc. We have tried to help you with this on your first thread yet you do not seem to want to listen. Adding a fish that you hope will eat algae is merely a band-aid, and not a good one at that. AT ALL.
You can keep posting threads on your issue but you are going to get the same advice from the same people on here. I'm sorry that you do not like what you are hearing but we are just trying to help.

First, apply is apply and not apely. Second, the reason Sarah is so nice is because of her not being a redhead. SarahSmile has a soul! This was brought to you by the Professional Organization of English Majors.

Hi HeatherLynn, sorry you feel that way, but I couldn't disagree more. I didn't want to chime in, but I wanted to stick up for the forum and people that have made me feel very much at home.

Back